As part of the Summer of Heroes celebration at Disney California Adventure Park, guests will find Super Hero-inspired food and beverages at six different locations in the Hollywood Land area of the park, including Schmoozies, Award Wieners and Market Place. New locations include the Cosmic Canteen and Knowhere Eats. Dishes and drinks in lively colors of green, purple, red, blue and orange reflect the bold personalities of some favorite Super Heroes. One of the fun new desserts is inspired by baby Groot. The Angry Little Pudding Cup features chocolate pudding with crumbled chocolate sandwich cookie, whipped cream and funnel cake fries. Guests who enjoy the Mickey-shaped sourdough bread available in Disney California Adventure will want to check out the fun, new Groot-shaped breads, in sourdough and jalapeno-cheddar flavors. The Most Dangerous Tacos in the Galaxy, a must-try, are inspired by the fiery personality of Gamora, featuring barbacoa, green onion slaw and habanero salsa. In addition, guests can try the Savory Strength Falafel Pita, Super Size Subs, Space Outpost Tacos, Gamma-Sized Donuts and Bifrosties (shave ice with fun themed flavors).
Archive for Disneyland
There’s More Than Meets the Eye – Or the Warlock’s Eye – at Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
For the first time in any Disney theme park attraction anywhere in the universe, guests will join an adventure with the Guardians of the Galaxy, a gang of cosmic misfits who appear in Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! As they step into this story in Disney California Adventure Park, guests will discover everything from galactic species to exotic plant life, creature sounds, the powerful Warlock’s Eye and even a Russian space dog named Cosmo.
Cosmically Cool Facts About The Collector’s Fortress
- The Collector (aka Taneleer Tivan) has brought a Fortress filled with his priceless collection of rare artifacts from throughout the galaxy to Disney California Adventure. True to his eccentric and mysterious personality, he chose a location that will be visited by many to display his most prized possessions, the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Displayed prominently in gold on the front of the Fortress is the logo for The Tivan Group, The Collector’s company. The logo is triangular in shape with a downward arrow representing The Collector’s mining colony on Knowhere, the realm located at the edge of the universe. Miners extract precious spinal fluid to sell on the galactic black market, generating funds for The Collector’s next acquisitions.
- Cast members wear the Tivan logo on the sleeves of their galactic garb, created in bold tones of purple and gold, in line with The Collector.
- Some characters and creatures that guests may know from the new film, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” also appear in the new attraction, including Mantis and the Abilisk.
- In the Fortress Lobby, a video welcome from The Collector Introduces guests to his assistant, Apheta. A Krylorian, Apheta is new to the world of Guardians of the Galaxy, making her first appearance in the Fortress. Like all Krylorians, Apheta is pink.
- Guests who look carefully may spot some items in the Tivan Collection that are familiar in Disney Parks. For example, the video shown in the Lobby features The Collector’s desk, and on that desk is a maquette of the ghost dog from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park.
Numbers Out of Knowhere
Guests may discover these details and more on opening day, May 27, 2017.
- 183 Terran (Earth) feet marks the height of The Collector’s Fortress, which holds Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! The tallest attraction in the Disneyland Resort, it also extends 40 feet underground.
- 525 new shrubs, including 25 varieties, grow outside the Fortress as part of Tivan’s Oasis (aka the “Gardens of the Galaxy”).
- 30 trees, representing 13 varieties, grow in Tivan’s Oasis, including Queensland Bottle, African Tulip and Song of India trees.
- 25 potted plants, representing 20 varieties, also grow in Tivan’s Oasis. On display are numerous examples of rare and unusual plants such as Cyphostema juttae (also known as Namibian grape), Dioscorea elephantipes (Elephant’s Foot), and Tylycodon reticulatus (Sifkop or Sieve Head).
- 14 overhead vitrines hang in the Lobby, containing both familiar and mysterious artifacts.
- 2 large portraits of The Collector remind guests of his importance. One of these depicts The Collector playing a game with his brother, The Grandmaster, on The Grandmaster’s home planet of Sakaar.
- 2 languages are used throughout one’s visit to the Tivan Collection: English and Celestial, which is native to the realm of Knowhere.
- 1 special cameo features Stan Lee, well-known writer of Super Hero comic books and a forthcoming Disney Legend, somewhere in the tour of the Tivan Collection.
Browse Among 2,200 Galactic Artifacts
Inside the Fortress, a collection of more than 2,200 rare artifacts from around the galaxy contain plant life, creatures, weapons, costumes and other items of unique interest. Guests might be familiar with many of these items through their knowledge of Super Hero films and comic books. The Collector may choose to change out these artifacts at any time as new items come into his possession. On opening day, the Tivan Collection will include:
- Cocoon of unknown origin: The Collector does not wish to disturb the creature inside the cocoon, therefore he leaves it in place in hopes it will one day emerge and reveal itself for all to see.
- Cosmo, a test dog in the Russian space program of the 1960s (Terran date).
- A damaged Ultron Sentry from the Battle of Sokovia
- Warlock’s Eye, a powerful weapon that allows those who control it to wield an almost hypnotic mind control over its victims
- A Blaster weapon taken from the Guardians of the Galaxy’s “pet rodent,” Rocket
- A case of Dark Elf artifacts
- A case of Kree artifacts including Terrigen Crystals
- A Nova Corps uniform
- A Royal Guard’s Uniform from Asgard
Listen Up for Fun Details
- The Collector gathers sounds as well as artifacts, so guests will want to listen carefully for some auditory “Easter eggs,” especially in the outside garden. Examples include:
- Famous speeches, such as a 1903 recitation of the Gettysburg Address
- Bird calls and other creature sounds from planets throughout the galaxy
- Musical instrument sounds from a wide variety of civilizations
- Guests on board the gantry lift will experience one of six songs that play throughout their experience. The Disney Imagineering team experimented with more than 100 songs inspired by the films’ soundtracks, testing many of them on board the vehicle before settling on the final six for opening day:
- “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar (1980)
- “Give Up the Funk” by Parliament (1975)
- “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf (1968)
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5 (1969)
- “Free Ride” by The Edgar Winter Group (1973)
- “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley (1972)
- Music playing throughout the Lobby and Tivan’s office may sound familiar. It was composed by Tyler Bates, composer of the music for the two “Guardians of the Galaxy” films.
- Employees of the Tivan Collection (those wearing the Tivan logo on their sleeves) know they are always under the watchful eye of their employer, The Collector. They also are aware of what Rocket is up to, however, and they support his efforts by murmuring secret words of encouragement to guests they meet.
- Guests of the Tivan Collection should pay close attention with their ears as they exit the attraction, too. In addition to hearing songs from the films’ soundtracks, they might hear some of the creatures that have escaped from their vitrines, including a certain duck which might be known to the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Last Stop at the Fortress: Newly Acquired Items Now Available
As guests exit the attraction, they will discover that The Collector’s Warehouse is no ordinary gift shop. In what would have been the final scene of their tour, all the creatures are running amuck, the power is fluctuating wildly and Tivan Group staff members have decided to take advantage of the chaos by selling off some of the newest items, offering guests a chance to acquire them.
FIRST GUESTS TO ROCK GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY – MISSION: BREAKOUT! AT DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE PARK
Last weekend, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! officially opened for Disney California Adventure® Park Guests, and the reviews were out of this world! Here’s a look at the excitement and exhilaration Guests experiences as they anxiously awaited their turn to help break out the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guests will experience more fun than ever at Disney California Adventure Park this summer, with an opportunity to “Hero Up” during the epic Summer of Heroes. Beginning May 27, 2017, special entertainment and limited-time experiences will thrill guests of all ages as some favorite Super Hero stories come to life in Hollywood Land. Also opening May 27 is the new attraction Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Learn Some Terms from the Super Hero Universe
Super Hero fans may recognize these terms from films, comic books and animated TV series, while those new to the stories will have fun learning terms of the Super Hero Universe that come to life during Summer of Heroes.
- Terra – The planet known as Earth
- Terrans – Citizens of Earth, also known as humans
- Vitrine – The glass display case that houses each of the Guardians of the Galaxy in The Collector’s Fortress
- Gantry lift – The vehicle guests board in the new attraction, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, as they help Rocket bust his fellow Guardians out of captivity.
- Knowhere – The realm at the edge of the universe, located inside the floating head of an unidentified Celestial. The Collector has made it a mining colony.
- Celestial language – The language used in Knowhere, with its own Celestial alphabet
- Avengers – The most prestigious and mightiest Super Hero team on Earth; an ever- shifting assemblage of super beings, adventurers and crime fighters devoted to protecting the planet from menaces beyond the scope of conventional authorities.
Encounter Epic Super Hero Fun
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!”
- Star-Lord fires up his old-school boom box to get a party started in “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!”
- Guests will show off their moves at this awesome rock ‘n’ roll bash and “dance off” on Fun team names include “Team Pop,” “Team Lock,” “Team Rock” and “Team Roll.”
- Star-Lord, also known as Peter Quill, is the irreverent, hilarious leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy and host of this experience. He’s obsessed with classic pop music from the ‘60s and ‘70s—which plays an important part in the Dance Off.
- Gamora, the daughter of Thanos, joins Star-Lord to engage audiences in the fun.
- Groot, of the species Flora Colossus, arrives at end of the Dance Off to greet excited fans. Guests will only ever hear him utter three words: “I am Groot!”
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!” features classic hits from the ‘70s inspired by the cinematic world of Guardians of the Galaxy. Guests will move and groove to songs such as:
- “ABC” by The Jackson 5 – 1970
- “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone – 1973
- “Fox on the Run” by Sweet – 1975
- “Shake Your Groove Thin” by Peaches & Herb – 1978
- “All Over the World” by Electric Light Orchestra – 1980
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
- On opening day, the attraction will feature more than 2,200 props from and inspired by the Super Hero universe and six ride profiles, each paired with a pop song inspired by the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films’ soundtracks.
- An 8-foot-tall, gilded statue of The Collector, Taneleer Tivan, greets guests at the entrance to this thrilling new He is depicted holding an Orloni (a small rodent-like creature, native to Morag).
- The Collector’s imposing Fortress looms over the skyline at Disney California Adventure at 183 Terran (Earth) feet high.
- Tivan’s Oasis, also known as the “Gardens of the Galaxy,” features nearly 60 plant species with shrubs, trees and potted plants decorating the attraction queue.
- Heroic Encounters with Spider-Man and Captain America in Hollywood Land
- The friendly neighborhood web-slinger Spider-Man swoops in from New York City. As guests meet with Spider-Man, they will notice the area features nods to the Daily Bugle, the newspaper where Peter Parker is a photographer.
- Captain America, considered the First Avenger, flexes his strength for guests, wielding a special shield made of the precious metal vibranium, found in the African nation of Wakanda. Guests will encounter Captain America outside a New York Police Station, decked out in red, white and blue bunting.
Limited-Time Summer of Heroes Entertainment
- Avengers Training Initiative
- Throughout the day, young guests will participate in this daring adventure on the Hollywood Backlot, to see if they have what it takes to become “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. ” .
- Young Avengers learn defensive and attack maneuvers to defeat the villain Arnim Zola, who is known by Captain America fans to be from the evil HYDRA organization.
- Black Widow, also known as Agent Natasha Romanoff, is the commander of the training, demonstrating defensive combat techniques
- World-class archer and marksman Hawkeye, also known as Agent Clint Barton, assists Black Widow in the training. He is considered the most proficient archer ever known.
- Tony Stark, the man behind the famed Iron Man suit, surprises young recruits with a video appearance from the Stark Expo at Hong Kong Disneyland – more than 7,000 miles away!
- Special Agent Cabe, director of Avengers training, joins Tech Specialist Agent Crosby and a team of field agents to assist Black Widow and Hawkeye.
- Recruits receive a special Avengers Training Initiative security clearance band upon completing the training program.
- Heroic Encounter with Black Widow
- When not training new recruits, the heroine Black Widow canvasses the Hollywood Back Lot, interacting with guests and civilians in a black armored vehicle, known as the Avengers Armored Transport.
- The Avengers Armored Transport vehicle uses the special radio call sign Patrol One.
Heroic Food and Beverage
- Dishes and drinks in lively colors of green, purple, red, blue and orange reflect the bold personalities of some favorite Super Heroes.
- Guests will find Super Hero-inspired eats at six different locations in the Hollywood Land area, including Schmoozies, Award Wieners and Market Place.
- Guests may try a variety of new dishes and fun, themed beverages, each with a Summer of Heroes theme.
- Inspired by baby Groot, the new dessert Angry Little Pudding Cup features chocolate pudding with crumbled chocolate sandwich cookie, whipped cream and funnel cake fries.
- Guests who enjoy the Mickey-shaped sourdough bread available in Disney California Adventure will want to check out the fun, new Groot-shaped sourdough and jalapeno breads.
- The Most Dangerous Tacos in the Galaxy, a must-try, are inspired by the fiery personality of Gamora, featuring barbacoa, green onion slaw and habanero salsa.
Summer of Heroes Merchandise:
- On their shopping adventures, guests may choose from four new product lines, each with a unique theme to celebrate Super Heroes at Disney California Adventure.
- Ten popular toys and games inspired by the ‘70s and ‘80s are sure to be a hit with the young at heart, including mini arcade games and light-up toys.
- Guests may take home their own Groot, Cosmo, Rocket and Howard the Duck plush, packaged in a vitrine case and available from The Collector’s personal collection. Disgruntled employees who work for The Collector have decided everything must go.
- Retro-inspired apparel takes cues from 1970s style fonts, colors and designs.
- Pin traders looking to add to their collections may choose from eight new Super Hero-inspired trading pins.
- Guests will pay homage to some of their favorite characters with Super Hero shirts, available in five designs resembling the armor and costumes of classic Super Hero characters.
‘Fantasmic!’ Returns to Disneyland Park This Summer with Mickey’s Dream, New Scenes and Dazzling Visual Effects
“Fantasmic!,” Disney’s longest-running and most popular nighttime spectacular, returns to the Rivers of America in Disneyland Park this summer with enhanced, awe-inspiring effects, innovative state-of-the-art projection technology, and new storytelling elements.
The heart of the show, treasured by Disneyland guests for more than 25 years, remains. Once again, guests journey into Mickey Mouse’s fertile imagination as he conjures dreams of beauty, adventure, romance and, in the show’s thrilling climax, danger.
New magic is incorporated with Aladdin and Jasmine floating over a bed of fog on their flying carpet, Captain Jack Sparrow at the helm of a ghostly pirate ship, and special new appearances by characters from “The Lion King” and “Finding Nemo.” and Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from “Tangled” join other Disney couples in an inspiring romantic sequence.
Additional enhancements give the popular show an even brighter look, with more vibrant projections and new mist screens. Every inch of every surface on the show’s island “stage” has been digitally mapped. Projection mapping and three-dimensional video combine, allowing the creative team to transform the island as never before. All technical elements of the show, including lighting, fountains and water screens, have been upgraded.
The return of “Fantasmic!” coincides with the reappearance of some other classic Disneyland attractions this summer. The Disneyland Railroad, Pirates’ Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, and the water crafts that sail around the Rivers of America in Frontierland – Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes – all are returning for summer 2017.
- Central to the magic of “Fantasmic!” are the three mist screens, each 60 feet wide by 30 feet tall, upon which the films are projected.
- New scenes will feature songs such as “Friend Like Me” and “A Whole New World” from Disney’s animated classic, “Aladdin.”
- Captain Jack Sparrow and a crew of ghost pirates man an eerie pirate ship that appears on the Rivers of America. These professional stunt performers execute all the spectacular duels and falls.
- Each night, more than 100 cast and crew members bring “Fantasmic!” to life, in the 23-minute show.
- As part of the “Fantasmic!” story, the wicked Maleficent from “Sleeping Beauty” will rise to a height of 45 feet in 17 seconds, before transforming into the dragon.
- The dragon is a fully animated three-dimensional design that replicates the movements of the dragon in “Sleeping Beauty.” The dragon is 45 feet tall by 28 feet wide and weighs approximately 18,000 pounds.
- The dragon lights the Rivers of America on fire for 25 seconds.
- Approximately 9,000 guests can view “Fantasmic!” at each performance. The audience is approximately 70 feet from the main stage on Tom Sawyer Island.
- Water effects include 21 fountains and six “whale tails” in the scene when Monstro the whale charges across the Rivers of America.
- At the beginning of the show, two light towers appear on either side of the main stage. During the day, these towers rest 26 feet underground. They rise to a height of 40 feet in less than a minute.
- The audio surrounding the “Fantasmic!” spectators is created by four speaker stacks on Tom Sawyer Island and three on the mainland.
- Kaa, the conniving snake from “The Jungle Book” who slithers across the “Fantasmic!” stage, is 100 feet long.
- Fantasmic!” premiered to the public on May 15, 1992, at Disneyland.
- An enhanced version of that original “Fantasmic” presentation, featuring digital projections and the spectacular new 45-foot-tall dragon, premiered June12, 2009.
- The main stage on Tom Sawyer Island, including underground housing for many special effects, was specially built for “Fantasmic!” By day, it is a boat dock and “cider mill” visited by guests on the island.
- In 1992, the original estimate for the prospective audience size was 6,500. Spectators, however, found every space they could and the average number of guests per performance was 11,000 that first summer.
- Within days, the area was re-landscaped to accommodate more guests in the viewing areas. “Fantasmic!” was scheduled for three shows per night that year, and extended to four shows on July 4 and New Year’s Eve. Before summer 1993 arrived, the walkways and planters in New Orleans Square had been redesigned in the “terrace” style from which today’s guests view the show.
- A different version of “Fantasmic!” premiered in October 1998 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM Studios) at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
Looks like the hype was real. Disney’s ride for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: Breakout! opened at Disney’s California Adventure on Saturday… and the effects could literally be felt everywhere in the park.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Bob Chapek, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts:
- “Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! brings an all-new epic adventure to the Disneyland Resort, and it’s the only Disney park in the universe where guests can step into a Guardians of the Galaxy story. Like the smash-hit films that inspired it, this new attraction is action-packed, full of irreverent humor, and features an ‘awesome mix tape.’ It’s a fantastic way for guests to experience the Super Hero universe like never before.”
Michael Colglazier, President, Disneyland Resort:
- “The Disneyland Resort continues to bring favorite stories to life in incredible way. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! captures all of excitement, humor and adventure that our guests have come to expect from this heroic and irreverent franchise.”
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Joe Rohde, Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering:
- “What I love about Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is that it’s just so funny. The whole Super Hero thing can become so serious with action and conflict, and this is lively, fun, joyful and irreverently funny, which I think will really surprise people. And once guests take a seat and we close the doors, it blasts off like a rocket ship. It’s zooming up and down, the music is rockin’, the doors keep opening and all this stuff is loose – all kinds of chaos — until Rocket gets the power back on. You’re in for some real, high-energy fun.”
Estefania Harbuck, Creative Producer, Walt Disney Imagineering:
- “Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! has six different shows, each one set to a different pop song and each one with a different mix of media scenes. These shows will play randomly so guests won’t know what they’re going to get until they get on the ride and hear the song start.”
- “Even if you have never read a comic book or seen a ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ film, you are going to have a really good time on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! It was very important to us that every guest could walk in the door and enjoy the story of the attraction, and the awesome soundtrack, even if they are not familiar with these characters.”
- “The cast of the film has been a huge, huge help with bringing this attraction to life. We were able to let them ride and we made changes based on their feedback. That made the attraction even better, more authentic and just more awesome.” (Film cast Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista provided notes.)
Danny Handke, Creative Director, Walt Disney Imagineering:
- “You’re immediately going to be awed when you see the Fortress of Collector. The It’s weird, it’s bold, grandiose and it’s arrogant, just like the character.”
- “Bringing The Collector’s Fortress to the edge of Disney California Adventure was a way to welcome Terrans [people of Earth], inviting them to take his VIP tour and see the Guardians of the Galaxy on display. You might notice an alien language throughout the facility, and there are mysterious elements to decipher that give you clues of other reasons why The Collector has landed here.”
John Dennis, Executive Creative Director of Music, Walt Disney Imagineering:
- “Music is an integral part of the films and it gave us a strong framework for Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, so we wanted it to be an integral part of this attraction. As you get off the ride, you’re going to hear some of those greatest hits moments from the film soundtracks, but you’re also going to hear some of the creatures that have been set loose and are running through the building.”
Kevin Feige, President, Marvel Studios:
- “It’s exciting to partner with Walt Disney Imagineering and bring the Guardians of the Galaxy characters to this new, immersive form of storytelling. We are giving guests at Disney California Adventure a whole new way to experience the offbeat personalities of these characters, and that has been a lot of fun for us.”
Guests become the protagonists of a rockin’ new adventure in Disney California Adventure Park as they help rescue a cosmic gang of misfits in Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! This thrilling attraction is fueled with high-energy, hilarious action that will be fun for Super Hero fans and those who are discovering this story for the first time. It opens May 27, 2017.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! entices guests with an original storyline based on “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, comics and animated television series, with a rapid rise into chaotic adventure and surprising visuals. The fast-paced action rocks to the beat of music inspired by the films’ soundtracks, including classic rock and pop music from the ‘60s, ‘70s and early ‘80s. And with multiple ride profiles, guests never know which adventure they’ll get.
“Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! brings an all-new epic adventure to the Disneyland Resort, and it’s the only Disney park in the universe where guests can step into a Guardians of the Galaxy story,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Like the smash-hit films that inspired it, this new attraction is action-packed, full of irreverent humor, and features an ‘awesome mix tape.’ It’s a fantastic way for guests to experience the Super Hero universe like never before.”
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! opens just weeks after the theatre premiere of the new film, “Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2.” The stars of the films are featured in the attraction.
Walt Disney Imagineering collaborated with James Gunn, director of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, most of the main talent from the films along with Joe Quesada, chief creative officer, Marvel Entertainment, and Marvel Themed Entertainment on the story of the attraction, to develop an experience where guests step into a story with these characters for the first time.
“I can’t be more pleased to have partnered with Walt Disney Imagineering in bringing the Guardians of the Galaxy characters to this new, immersive form of storytelling,” Gunn said. “It’s been exciting and a lot of fun to help direct and shape the experience so that it has all the heart and fun and humor of the Guardians movies.”
In addition to the new attraction, Summer of Heroes begins May 27 with Guardians of the Galaxy characters and Super Heroes appearing in Disney California Adventure for new exploits and Heroic Encounters. While some of these will be year-round, others will be available only from May 27-Sept. 10. Summer of Heroes inaugurates an ever-expanding universe of Super Hero stories at Disney California Adventure that will become even bigger over time.
The Collector’s Fortress
The Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! adventure begins as guests enter a grandiose, 183-foot tall fortress. They discover that the Guardians have been imprisoned by the arrogant, acquisitive Taneleer Tivan, known as The Collector. Guests join a daring escape plan devised by Rocket, who once again proves his uncanny ability to break free from any prison or captivity.
The dominating fortress is adorned with antennae, satellite dishes and other mysterious apparatus and is accented in shimmering hues of blue and gold. At night, with special lighting, it pulsates with imposing power. A gilded, eight-foot-tall statue of The Collector stands at the entrance to the fortress, towering over guests. These VIP guests of The Collector enter to view the unique “Tivan Collection” of relics and species from all over the universe. His latest acquisition: The Guardians of the Galaxy.
The Fortress Lobby
The Lobby of the fortress is both fascinating and creepy – filled with display cases that hold artifacts and living creatures, which The Collector has obtained and made available for public viewing. In a welcome video, The Collector explains how he has trapped the Guardians of the Galaxy high atop his fortress in secured glass cages that are wired with power from a massive generator and suspended over a deep abyss.
The Collector’s Office
Before leaving the Lobby and entering The Collector’s Office, guests hold up their hands to be “bio-scanned” for security clearance. In the Office, even more of The Collector’s relics are on display and, as in the Lobby, the collection contains some hidden references that will delight dedicated Super Hero fans and Disney fans.
Suddenly, Rocket appears, telling guests he needs their help. Using their security clearances, he can hijack the gantry lift to the top of the fortress, disable the generator, and free his friends.
The Gantry Lift
Of course, Rocket’s plan faces challenges. After guests enter the gantry lift, Rocket overrides The Collector’s recorded tour spiel with music from the tape player of Star-Lord (aka Peter Quill). Soon, the gantry is shooting up into the fortress, then plummeting downward as Rocket attempts to take control of the generator.
It’s here that guests experience one of the attraction’s six different ride profiles, each synchronized to one of the songs on the “awesome mix tape”:
- “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
- “Give Up The Funk” by Parliament
- “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5
- “Free Ride” by The Edgar Winter Group
- “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley
Guests soon learn that, even if the rescue is successful, the resulting chaos may create problems of its own!
To help create the attraction, Disney Imagineers used Virtual Reality technology to pre-visualize the Tivan Collection, The Collector’s Office and other parts of the Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! experience.
The ride system has more high-speed ride time than ever before, and the thrill factor gets going as soon as the gantry lift doors close and the music stars blaring. Each song is accompanied by a different up-and-down ride profile and story scenes, making every visit to the attraction unpredictable.
Rocket makes multiple appearances in the attraction, including as a sophisticated Audio-Animatronics character who invades The Collector’s Office to ask guests for a hand with his escape plan.
From the anticipation guests will feel as they enter The Collector’s Fortress to the sense of discovery as they tour the Tivan Collection to the thrills and elation of participating in a successful breakout, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an unforgettable adventure into the Super Hero universe at Disney California Adventure.
When the iconic Disneyland® Railroad and the Rivers of America attractions return to Disneyland Park this summer, guests will discover new magic aboard these classic experiences. As first shared last year, and seen in the artist’s rendering below (courtesy of Walt Disney Imagineering), the gorgeous new north bank of the Rivers of America will feature a beautiful new waterfront and an elevated trestle over which the iconic Disneyland Railroad will travel.
The Rivers of America will continue to celebrate the Mississippi, Columbia, Missouri and Rio Grande rivers, enhanced now with a new Columbia Gorge section, highlighted by thundering waterfalls – signaling the return of large waterfalls to the rivers. Longtime Disneyland park fans will remember Big Thunder River Waterfall and Twin Sisters Waterfall; five spectacular new waterfalls along the Rivers of America harken back to these favorites – all on display for guests aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes.
Guests will also experience these features from aboard the Disneyland Railroad, which will travel across the rocks on a trestle that will even extend onto the river, providing a breathtaking view of the new waterfalls. And, for the first time ever, the Disneyland Railroad will be making a left-hand turn as it circles the park.
In addition to the new waterfalls, guests will spot some familiar faces along the Rivers of America as well as throwbacks to Frontierland’s past. The Indian Village, now in a new location, will include a more prominently featured Shaman, seen telling the story of how the hummingbird taught the Indian chief to make a flute.
Beginning May 27, guests will interact with cosmic heroes Star-Lord, Gamora and Groot in “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!” at Disney California Adventure Park. The new entertainment experience invites guests to encounter these Guardians of the Galaxy, fresh off their appearance in the latest blockbuster film, “Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2.” Guests will find excitement throughout Hollywood Land during Summer of Heroes with the Avengers Training Initiative featuring Black Widow and Hawkeye, and heroic encounters with Black Widow, Captain America and Spider-Man. (Disneyland Resort)