Archive for Downtown Disney
We have all been there. Driving around looking for a parking spot, and you feel like it’s never going to end.
Planet Hollywood To Transform Orlando Flagship Into Star-Themed Planet Hollywood Observatory As Downtown Disney Evolves Into Disney Springs
Planet Hollywood, America’s preeminent restaurant destination dedicated to celebrating the entertainment industry, will look toward a new set of stars by transforming its Orlando flagship location into a four-story stargazing observatory set to debut in spring 2016. Regularly at the forefront of industry trends, the reimagined Planet Hollywood Observatory is centrally located and will overlook the heart of Downtown Disney with a newly-expanded outdoor terrace and bar. Within the sophisticated entertainment emporium, patrons of all ages are invited to “Dine Amongst the Stars” through a refreshed yet timeless menu, distinctive outdoor bar and lounge options, an imaginative new merchandise line, and a host of all-star celebrity partnerships.
Intensive renovations and artistic treatments, spearheaded by design firm Elkus Manfredi Architects, will take place early next year and will align Planet Hollywood Observatory with the transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs. Disney Springs will be a one-of-a-kind Disney experience, treating guests by day and night to exceptional dining, shopping and entertainment amid beautiful open-air promenades, flowing springs and waterfront charm.
The Observatory’s exterior will share the Disney Springs turn-of-the-century design aesthetic, while the interior’s refurbished upholstery, spherical planet-shaped lighting fixtures and stylish finishing will create a welcoming atmosphere for fans to celebrate a new generation of superstar entertainers. New dining and lounge options will include a new outdoor terrace and outdoor bar space called Stargazers, which will feature live entertainment while music in the main dining room will be energized by DJ performances. Walls and glass displays throughout the massive space will be adorned with imagery and memorabilia from various movies paying homage to a long tradition of filmmaking and recognizing beloved newcomers.
“We’re thrilled to be a part of Disney Springs and transform our brand as Disney evolves its exciting new venue,” said Planet Hollywood International Founder and Chairman Robert Earl. “With Planet Hollywood Observatory, we are refreshing our dining experience as we renew our commitment to the new, rising stars of the entertainment industry — a part of our core mission since inception.”
Refreshed dining options will highlight Planet Hollywood’s timeless classics and introduce a host of updated additions. A curated beverage program will feature a variety of milkshakes, smoothies, wines, bottled and draft beers, as well as cocktails served in specialty glassware to cater to the needs of all guests, from groups with small children to young adults and seniors. Spacious dining rooms ensure comfort for family meals while various bar spaces set the mood for a perfect date.
Trendy new retail shops are just the beginning of an entirely re-imagined Downtown Disney. With everything from sun hats and stylish flip-flops to customized headphones and gluten-free cupcakes, Downtown Disney has become a shopper’s oasis for all to enjoy. The new offerings are part of an expansion that will double the number of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences available as the area transforms into Disney Springs.
New shopping at Downtown Disney includes:
- The Art of Shaving– A boutique retail offering that sells high-end shaving supplies and related grooming products for the modern man. Founded by a husband and wife in a Manhattan apartment, The Art of Shaving has grown to a worldwide organization. Guests can receive expert shaving advice on products and techniques, or make an appointment for a luxurious grooming experience at the Barber Spa.
- Apex by Sunglass Hut- A first-of-its-kind sunglass store that was built with the athlete in mind. This retail location showcases the industry’s best selection of sport performance and lifestyle eyewear including Oakley, Ray-Ban, and Under Armour. In order for guests to choose a lens to best suit their needs, Apex has developed environmental simulators so guests can test out how a specific lens will perform under a variety of light conditions.
- Chapel Hats – A fashion forward shop that specializes in an assortment of hats for guests of all ages. The location carries stylish hats including fedoras, cowboy hats, floppy hats, outdoors hats, kid’s hats and more. Every Chapel Hats location is themed to a different time period and is built by using old pieces of shops, factories, schools, pubs and The Downtown Disney location is themed to the 1920s.
- Havaianas – A Brazilian-based shoe store that offers fashionable flip flops made with the highest quality rubber — with hundreds of styles to choose from. This store will feature a large assortment of colorful Havaianas for women, men and children, plus kids’ rain boots. There’s also the “Make Your Own Havaianas” and “Embellish Your Own Havaianas,” option, where guests can customize this casual footwear.
- Sanuk– Innovative, fun and comfortable footwear with more than 175 designs will be available at this 1,000-square-foot venue. Taking its name from the Thai word for “fun,” Sanuk strives to make more innovative products that are as much about funk as they are about function. Favorite styles including Yoga Mat Sandal Collection and its patented “Not-A-Shoe” Sidewalk Surfers will be showcased.
- Sound Lion – A new retail concept that offers the latest technology in headphones, docking stations, wireless music players and other products. Before purchasing a product, guests can hang out at their Listening Barand find which product works best for them.
- Erin Mckenna Bakery NYC – A unique bakery with savory offerings and an all-vegan and gluten-free menu. Look for a full selection of award-winning donuts, cupcakes, cookies, bagels with vegan butter, and other delicious items daily. Some of their fan-favorite cupcakes from their flagship bakery in New York and sister bakery in Los Angeles include vanilla cupcakes with zesty lemon frosting, red velvet cupcakes with creamy vanilla frosting and brownie cupcakes with rich chocolate frosting.
The Village Causeway, a bridge connecting the area near The LEGO Store across the water to Rainforest Café, is now open at Downtown Disney Marketplace. This new area is quickly becoming a favorite spot for photos, sunset viewing and shopping. Guests can enjoy these new merchandise kiosks now open on the Village Causeway:
- Flour & Sugar – featuring baked items with Florida flavors
- Florida Bath Co. – offering bath products made with home-grown ingredients
- Icon Jewellery by Bico – including fine grade pewter and enhanced with Swarovski Crystals
- Kate & Leo – featuring items inspiring curiosity, creativity and imagination
Sanuk®, a division of Deckers Brands (NYSE: DECK), the not-so-typical footwear brand known for its love of innovation and unconventional comfort, today grand-opened its new retail store in the heart of Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort.
“We’re thrilled to open our fifth Sanuk store – and as our brand name comes from a word that means ‘fun,’ I can’t think of a more appropriate place to expand our retail presence than in Downtown Disney,” said Jake Brandman, President of Sanuk. “The space was designed to showcase the vast assortment of ‘never uncomfortable’ footwear in an environment that captures the spirit of the brand.”
Spanning 1,000 square feet, the new Sanuk footwear store at Downtown Disney blends sleek design with bright colors and custom fixtures to capture a one-of-a-kind visual shopping experience. Global prints and textures, including the brand’s iconic ‘poncho print’, help define the aesthetic of the space, which will have more than 175 creatively-inspired shoe styles on display for women, men and kids.
Sanuk is best known for its sandals and sandal/shoe hybrids, which will be prominently highlighted in the store, along with closed-toe shoe styles that are gaining in popularity. The location will feature popular styles, such as the Yoga Sling, Yoga Mat, Beer Cozy Light and Yogi 3, along with heritage styles like the PickPocket, Vagabond, Chiba and Donna, as well as new styles in the Boulevard and Kat collections.
Downtown Disney is currently undergoing the largest expansion in its history, to be renamed and re-imagined as Disney Springs, an exciting new waterfront district for shopping, dining and entertainment. Sanuk is part of the first phase of store openings planned for what eventually will be known as The Landing within Disney Springs.
The store location is at 1600 East Buena Vista Dr. #E, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 and the hours of operation will be 10 a.m. – 11 p.m., 365 days a year.
‘Mighty St. Patrick’s Festival’ Runs March 13-17, 2015 at Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant in Downtown Disney
Award-winning Irish and American bands and quick-stepping Irish dancers will showcase their Irish roots during the Mighty St. Patrick’s Festival at Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant in Downtown Disney March 13-17. The most authentic St. Patrick’s Day celebration in Central Florida also will feature inventive cuisine by Irish celebrity chef Kevin Dundon, host of the TASTE Award-winning PBS and Create TV cooking show, “Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food.”
Raglan Road guests ready to “get their green on” can participate in festivities that run from 4 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. March 13 and from noon until 1:30 a.m. March 14-17, including complimentary face painting for guests, and live music. The diverse band lineup headed by Scythian — playing gypsy-infused American Celtic tunes — offers something for everyone:
- Reel Ó Gránde, the newest Raglan Road house band playing traditional Irish ballads, jigs and reels and modern Irish and country music.
- The West Coast Trio from Connemara, playing traditional and contemporary Irish songs on accordion, flute and guitar with plenty of reels and jigs.
- 3 Dollar Band, three extraordinary musicians inspired by Irish and Appalachian music.
- The Brayzen Heads, a popular duo on guitar and banjo playing Raglan Road regularly.
- Drops of Green, an exciting new ballad group from the heart of Ireland.
- The Raglan Road Dancers, seven full-time champion dancers, performing daily
Guests can visit www.raglanroad.com or call 407/938-0300.
The final phase of transportation improvements in the Downtown Disney area is now expected to be finished in mid-2017, rather than late 2016. …
More of the tenants moving into Downtown Disney have been revealed.
The new Starbucks Evenings service brings alcohol to Downtown Disney Starbucks Evenings starts at 4:00 p.m. every day at the Downtown Disney location.