We all love Star Wars and now the iconic movies are displayed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios near Star Wars Launch Bay. Which banner is your favorite?
On May 27, 1965, the Miami Herald published this headline: “Giant land deal near Orlando revealed.” But the buyer and the plans were a mystery.
With a festival-style open house, the IdeaSport Soccer Program presented by LaLiga and Walt Disney World Resort will launch June 3-4 at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort.
Featuring LaLiga players and coaches, the open house for the new soccer experience will be the first opportunity for youth players – boys and girls, ages 4 to 18 – to sign up for the program. The open house runs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days, and involves on-field play sessions and entertainment such as Disney character meet & greets, photo opportunities with the LaLiga trophy, food and beverages and appearances by LaLiga players and coaches.
Players interested in attending the open house must register in advance at www.idea-sports.com, however guests are welcome to take part in the complimentary festival activities.
Through its multi-year agreement with LaLiga and Walt Disney World Resort, this program will provide a holistic approach to soccer education with proven, year-round training and development for youth soccer athletes, developing them on and off the field, as well as professional training for coaches and officials.
Training and development as part of the IdeaSport Soccer Program presented by LaLiga and Walt Disney World Resort is scheduled to begin in late June at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Additionally, there will be multiple events and exhibitions, including a tournament and summer camps with current and former LaLiga players and coaches, visits from LaLiga legends and ambassadors, plus more events to be announced.
The IdeaSport Soccer Program is the newest youth soccer opportunity at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, which also hosts the prestigious Disney Soccer Showcase, among other elite and recreational events.
LaLiga is one of the most popular sports leagues in the world. It has produced Europe’s top-rated club more times (18) than any other league, and it reached 2.1 billion viewers worldwide in the 2015-2016 season, according to Nielsen ratings. During the first round of the 2016-2017 season, that number grew by 37 percent.
Below is a look at the open house, at a glance:
Summer of Heroes, a new, limited-time celebration at Disney California Adventure Park, invites guests to experience epic adventures with some of their favorite Super Heroes, including the new attraction Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! beginning May 27, 2017. And at Disneyland Park this summer, guests will enjoy the return of classic attractions including the nighttime spectacular, “Fantasmic!”
Disney California Adventure Park
- Take the (dance) floor with the Guardians of the Galaxy: Star-Lord and Gamora will appear in the epic “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off.” Classic songs blasted from Star-Lord’s boom box will inspire some friendly dance competition.
- Help Rocket save his friends on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!: Before the action begins, guests will have to raise their hands and submit to a “bio scan” if they wish to enter The Collector’s private office. It’s the only way to gain clearance to view the amazing collection of Guardians on display, and the first step to joining Rocket’s escape plan.
- Snap selfies with Super Heroes: Throughout Hollywood Land, guests will come face-to- face with some favorite Super Heroes. Photo opportunities with Avengers such as Captain America, as well as members of Guardians of the Galaxy like Groot, will make social media followers super envious.
- Test your Super Hero skills: During the “Avengers Training Initiative,” young recruits will assemble with Black Widow and Hawkeye. Guests will learn techniques and skills from the pros and may be called upon to face off against the evil HYDRA organization.
- Taste a bite of the action: Even Super Heroes need to eat, and guests will be able to fuel up with tasty limited-time food offerings. Summer of Heroes-themed offerings include The Most Dangerous Tacos in the Galaxy and a Multiverse Parfait.
- Shop for fan favorites: Guests will find attraction-exclusive merchandise in the warehouse at the exit of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, including retro-designed apparel, adorable plush (courtesy of The Collector) and themed pins. Additional heroic apparel and cool souvenirs are available for guests to proudly show their Super Hero alliance.
- Pay homage to the Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland: Extended by popular demand through 20, 2017, this nighttime parade features beloved Disney characters and stories, along with half a million twinkling lights and the popular, synthesized music of “Baroque Hoedown.”
- Unwind on the Disneyland Railroad: Reopening this summer, the Disneyland Railroad debuts a new route through a beautiful, newly-imagined waterfront and over an elevated trestle above Rivers of America. Guests will hop aboard once again and take a grand circle tour around Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom.
- Explore Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island: Guests can let their imaginations soar as they take a log raft across the Rivers of America to this island hideaway, then set out by foot to discover its secret caves and passages.
- Watch the Rivers of America blaze to life with “Fantasmic!:” The nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” returns with magical, new effects, music and Disney stories. This popular, breathtaking show stars Mickey Mouse and his extravagant dream.
40th Anniversary Comeback! Classic Space Mountain Returns to Tomorrowland Beginning June 1 at Disneyland Park
On June 1, 2017, mere days after the 40th anniversary of its debut in Disneyland Park, classic Space Mountain will return to Tomorrowland. The attraction, one of the peaks in the Disneyland “Mountain Range of Thrill Rides,” has been a favorite with Disneyland guests ever since it opened in 1977. The adaptable ride system treats guests to Classic as well as other themes, including Hyperspace Mountain and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, and more than 450 million guests have enjoyed one of those thrilling experiences since the attraction opened.
- The opening ceremony for Space Mountain in Disneyland Park took place on May 27, 1977.
- The ceremony was attended by the original crew of Project Mercury: Captain Scott Carpenter, Colonel Gordon Cooper, Senator John Glenn, Captain Walter Schirra, Admiral Alan Shepard and Donald “Deke” Slayton, along with Betty Grissom, widow of former Mercury and Apollo 1 astronaut Gus Grissom.
- The summer that Space Mountain opened in 1977 saw new attendance records set at Disneyland.
- The idea for Space Mountain originated with Walt Disney way back in 1964. He wanted to build a roller-coaster-style ride but in the dark, which no one had ever done before. With the technological explosion in the late 1960s and into the 1970s, the team of Walt Disney Imagineers were able to utilize lighting, music and pinpoint projection technologies to finally transform Walt’s dream into a reality.
- Space Mountain at Disneyland was built on the site previously occupied by the Flying Saucers attraction (1961-1966).
- Space Mountain was only the second attraction to premiere first at Walt Disney World in Florida, then in California. (Country Bear Jamboree was the first.) Space Mountain opened at the Magic Kingdom Park in Walt Disney World in 1975.
- When the attraction opened at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, it was the first computer-controlled thrill ride and the first Disney attraction to use computers in its design.
- In order to preserve the scale of Tomorrowland buildings in Disneyland, the base of the Space Mountain structure is set 17 feet below ground level.
- The design of the “Space Probe DL05,” suspended over the Spaceport boarding area inside Space Mountain, was inspired by the iconic Discovery One spacecraft from the classic 1968 science fiction film “2001: A Space Odyssey.”
- An onboard musical score to accompany the rockets as they rush, plummet and turn through Space Mountain was first added in 1996. Composer Aarin Richard worked with Disney Imagineers to fuse two musical forms of the 1960s, surf music and Sci Fi sounds. The score was based on Saint-Saens’ “Carnival of the Animals, featuring synthesized music that culminated in the beach-sounds of guitarist Dick Dale.
- From 2003 to 2005, Space Mountain underwent a major refurbishment. The track was recreated, using the same layout as the original design, and the attraction featured a new generation of effects, lighting, music and technologies. A highlight was the addition of the unique rotating rings through which guests travel as their rockets voyage upwards toward their Space Mountain flight.
- The attraction’s 2005 “re-launch” featured, as guest of honor, astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon.
- The enhanced 2005 Space Mountain featured a new musical score by Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning composer Michael Giacchino (“Lost,” “Mission Impossible: III” “Ratatouille,” “Up”). The new score employs the eerie sounds of the theremin, an early (1920s) electronic musical instrument, along with other electronic and classical instruments.
- Space Mountain is an adaptable attraction and undergoes special transformations from time to time:
- In summer 2006 it became “Rock It Space Mountain” with separate daytime and nighttime experiences including Grand Night 2006. The nighttime version incorporated the song “Let It Out” by Hoobastank.
- The following year brought “Rockin” Space Mountain” for several months through April 2007 as part of “The Year of a Million Dreams.” It featured the song “Higher Ground” by the Red Hot Chile Peppers.
- The Halloween-inspired Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy debuted in 2009 and has become a Halloween Time tradition at Disneyland. Through the use of projections and other special effects, guests are blasted into an uncharted section of the universe full of ghostly apparitions, creepy sounds and haunting music.
- Space Mountain launched into a galaxy far, far away in November 2015 for the Star Wars Season of the Force. Guests in Hyperspace Mountain find themselves in an action-packed battle between Rebel X-Wing and Imperial TIE Fighters.
An exciting, hotel-wide refurbishment is bringing new magic to the luxurious Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at the Disneyland Resort, with completely redesigned guest rooms plus a refreshed lobby, pool areas and the concierge-level Craftsman Club. The most extensive refurbishment since the hotel’s 2001 opening will elevate the premium guest experience and bring a contemporary approach to the Arts & Crafts design style.
The renovations are currently in progress, with expected completion in the fall of 2017. Guests may already enjoy some of the updates, with many guest rooms available and the redesigned pool area ready for summer fun.
Recently named a AAA Four Diamond hotel by the Automobile Club of Southern California for the sixteenth year in a row, the 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa captures the romantic spirit of California’s Arts & Crafts movement in the early 20th century.
“Our renovation adds more luxury to this iconic Southern California hotel, while staying committed to its signature Arts & Crafts design,” said Dan Coleman, General Manager of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. “We want our guests to feel they are staying in a Disney hotel that’s distinctly situated in beautiful California. The revitalized design helps convey this feeling and allows us to continue exceeding guest expectations.”
Redesigned Guest Rooms
Every single element in the redesigned guest rooms will be new, creating a fresh sense of luxury – from floor and walls to furnishings, bedding and linens, as well as upgraded bathrooms. Upon entry, guests will notice beautiful hardwood flooring transitioning into soft, bright-toned carpeting. Linens and pillows are restyled in a bright, white palette and upgraded bathrooms include new fixtures. The room decor is a contemporary take on the Arts & Crafts style featuring all-new furniture made of natural oak, specially designed for each room, as well as California-inspired artwork created by artists and Disney Imagineers, including beautiful headboard walls with wood inlay designs featuring Chip ‘n Dale climbing orange trees! Guests with sharp eyes will catch other uniquely Disney details throughout these newly enhanced rooms.
- Pools: The pools and surrounding areas have been redesigned with new hardscapes that reinforce the Arts and Crafts feeling of this premier Disney resort. A variety of natural stones were chosen to create a warm and welcoming environment at each pool.
- Lobby: The already spectacular six-story Grand Hall lobby will continue to impress guests with new, stylish furnishings to complement the existing Arts and Crafts décor.
- The Craftsman Club: The new design for The Craftsman Club, the hotel’s concierge-level lounge, will draw inspiration from the architectural and furniture designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, a visionary of the Glasgow Style of the Arts and Crafts movement. New hardwood flooring, custom-designed rugs, finely-crafted artisanal furniture and specially- commissioned art will add to the sophisticated, upscale tone of the Club.
Disney’s Grand California Hotel & Spa is the first Disney resort hotel in the world to be located inside a theme park, providing guests with an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park.
Guests staying at Disneyland Resort hotels also enjoy Extra Magic Hour, which provides early entry to select Disneyland and Disney California Adventure attractions.
Disneyland Resort Debuts a New Universe of Fun This Summer with Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Guests escaping to the Disneyland Resort in search of fun and adventure this summer will join forces with Guardians of the Galaxy as this intergalactic crew attempts its own escape in the rockin’ new attraction Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, opening Saturday, May 27, in Disney California Adventure Park.
Heroes from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” film, some appearing for the first time in a Disney park, also come alongside the Avengers for all-new, epic adventures during Summer of Heroes. Beginning May 27, guests will live these exciting stories as they encounter some favorite Super Heroes together for the first time.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! launches guests into an action-packed adventure that’s full of irreverent humor, combining a breathtaking free-fall sensation with all- new visual and audio effects. The action jumps to the beat of the attraction’s “awesome mix tape” of music, inspired by the films’ soundtracks. Guests will discover multiple ride experiences as they help Rocket in a daring plan to free the Guardians–a band of extraterrestrial misfits–from the fortress of The Collector, Taneleer Tivan.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! opens as a permanent attraction just in time for summer 2017 at the Disneyland Resort, and the Summer of Heroes inaugurates an ever- expanding universe of Super Hero stories at Disney California Adventure that will become even bigger over time. In addition, guests in the park’s Hollywood Land will join some favorite Super Heroes for epic, new experiences for a limited time.
“Pick your spot for fun and adventure this summer at the Disneyland Resort,” said David Duffy, director of creative entertainment at the Disneyland Resort. “You can step into a rescue mission on a thrilling adventure with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and you can encounter legendary Super Heroes. You can step up to meet Groot for the first time, and find out if you have what it takes to join the Avengers. You can watch the Main Street Electrical Parade one more time, re- discover some of your favorite classics like ‘Fantasmic!’ and so much more.‘’
In Disneyland Park, the classic Main Street Electrical Parade has been extended by popular demand through Aug. 20, 2017. The nighttime parade features beloved Disney characters and stories, half a million twinkling lights, the synthesized music of “Baroque Hoedown” and the heartwarming joy of nostalgia. Summer 2017 also marks the return of the nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!,” the Disneyland Railroad and attractions on Rivers of America.
In Disney California Adventure:
Guests will enjoy some of the Super Hero experiences year-round:
- Super Hero Encounters: For the first time, citizens of Terra (Earth) will come face-to- face with Groot. They also may encounter the First Avenger, Captain America, and everyone’s favorite web slinger, the friendly, neighborhood Spider-Man.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!”: Star-Lord fires up his old-school boom box to get a party started. Everyone, including tree-of-few-words Groot, is bound to get in the groove and show off their moves during this awesome rock ‘n’ roll bash.
For a limited time (May 27 through Sept. 10), some new adventures will be exclusive to
Summer of Heroes:
- “Avengers Training Initiative”: Black Widow and Hawkeye assemble young recruits for a series of tests to see if they have what it takes to join the ranks of the Avengers.
- Heroic Encounter: Black Widow: Black Widow arrives on the scene several times throughout the day in an armored Avengers vehicle for her heroic encounter with park guests.
- Grab a Piece (or Bite) of the Action: Special themed merchandise, plus food and beverage items, will be available throughout Hollywood Land.
Another new, year-round show is fun for all ages:
- “Disney Junior Dance Party!”: Debuting Friday, May 26, this fun concert experience invites adults and kids to dance and sing along to the music. Popular Disney Junior characters from Disney Junior TV shows “Doc McStuffins,” “Sofia the First” and “The Lion Guard” are joined by Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse from the new series “Mickey and the Roadster Racers.”
In addition, the popular “Pixar Play Parade,” presenting the colorful and exciting worlds of the Disney•Pixar pals from “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.” “Finding Nemo,” “Cars” and others, has returned to Disney California Adventure with daily performances full of fun and surprising movement and effects.
And Princess Elena, the adventurous heroine of the Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor” and the first Disney Princess inspired by diverse Latin American cultures will greet her fans in the patio of Paradise Garden Grill.
Along with the Main Street Electrical Parade, some classic guest favorites have been enhanced and are set to return in Summer 2017. Dates will be available soon at Disneyland.com.
- The summer months offer a last chance to view the lights, music and fun of the beloved Main Street Electrical Nightly performances through Aug. 20 feature favorites like Cinderella’s ball, Elliot, the smoke-breathing, tail-waggin “Pete’s Dragon” and the glittering “To Honor America” finale.
- The popular nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” is set to re-open this summer on the Rivers of America, enhanced with new scenes and Guests will find Mickey Mouse in more scenes than ever before, and they’ll discover new roles for Genie from “Aladdin” along with characters from “Tangled,” “The Lion King” and “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
- As work continues on a new Star Wars-themed land, set to open in 2019, the iconic Disneyland Railroad is preparing to return this summer to take guests on a tour of the They’ll enjoy a new look along the Rivers of America, with a spectacular new vista of a waterfall, rocky cliffs and a dramatic gorge below.
- Also returning this summer are the Rivers of America attractions: the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes and Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island.
- In Tomorrowland, Star Wars and Disney fans will step into out-of-this-galaxy experiences at Star Wars Launch Bay, meeting some Star Wars characters and getting an up-close look at replica props and models from Star Wars movies, including the latest “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. ”
Five Fun Ways to Experience the New ‘Disney Junior Dance Party!’ at Disney California Adventure Park
Beginning May 26, 2017, the all-new “Disney Junior Dance Party!” comes to life in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure Park, where guests also will discover the new Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission BREAKOUT! attraction and the epic Summer of Heroes.
Here are five reasons guests will want to join the fun at “Disney Junior Dance Party!” High-Energy Entertainment: Guests are an integral part of the show in this high-energy dance party, which features delightfully interactive entertainment and an opportunity for guests of all ages to participate in the festivities. Guests also enjoy special surprises with some favorite Disney characters.
Interactive Magic: “Disney Junior Dance Party!” is a musically-infused live concert featuring a DJ and a Party Host who encourage guests to get up and move to their favorite Disney Junior songs. In an exhilarating experience for little ones, bubbles, snow and confetti fill the room, inviting everyone to reach out and touch the fun.
Beloved Disney Junior Stories: Inspiration for the storytelling in “Disney Junior Dance Party!” comes from four popular Disney Junior TV shows: the new “Mickey and the Roadster Racers,” along with “Doc McStuffins,” “Sofia the First” and “The Lion Guard.” Disney Junior is where the enchantment of Disney storytelling often begins for young guests, and those stories come alive in “Disney Junior Dance Party!”
Fun for Everyone!: This charming live show is sure to be a must-see for guests, and especially for families with young children. As little ones are immersed in the interactive fun with some of their favorite Disney Junior characters, parents will recognize the way the magic becomes so real for young children.
Conga line!: “Kids are going to be surrounded by the energy that is Disney Junior,” said Brad Kaye, principal art director, Disney Parks Live Entertainment. “They’ll be on their feet from the time they walk into the theater until they form the conga line at the end.”
When the DuckTales cast records its lines, Lin-Manuel Miranda will be in the room where it happens. The Hamilton creator/ex-star is lending his voice to the Disney XD toon series reboot that premieres this year.
As Lightning McQueen heads to the big screen alongside his new tech-savvy trainer Cruz Ramirez, Disney•Pixar’s “Cars 3” fuels two soundtrack releases—both available from Walt Disney Records on June 16 as the film opens in theaters nationwide. The Cars 3 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, features eight tracks—including original songs by Dan Auerbach and ZZ Ward, four covers by various artists, and two instrumental tracks from Brad Paisley. The Cars 3 Original Score Composed and Conducted by Randy Newman reunites the “Cars” franchise with the Oscar®-winning composer. Both soundtracks are available for pre-order tomorrow, May 19, 2017.
“Lightning McQueen is on the journey of a lifetime—traveling cross-country, revisiting the past and looking into his own heart and soul to answer some big questions,” said “Cars 3” director Brian Fee. “Just like the music in the first two ‘Cars’ movies, the songs and score in this film really help support the story we are telling.”
CARS 3 ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK
The Cars 3 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack features “Run That Race,” an original song written and performed by nine-time Grammy® winner Dan Auerbach that can be heard as the movie opens. “The song is about never giving up and always trying your best,” said Auerbach, who met with filmmakers prior to penning the song. “They showed me the storyboards and ran through the plot. I was able to read some of the dialogue and from there I had enough to piece together a story in my mind for the song.”
Auerbach will release Waiting on a Song, his second solo album, on June 2 via his new label, Easy Eye Sound.
The soundtrack also features “Ride,” an original end-credit song performed by Hollywood Records artist ZZ Ward, featuring musician Gary Clark Jr. Written by Ward, Evan Bogart and Dave Bassett, the song was released by Walt Disney Records as a digital single on April 14. It was performed live by Ward April 17 on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.” Ward’s sophomore album, The Storm, will be released June 30.
The soundtrack also features four cover songs, including two bonus tracks.*
- “Kings Highway,” originally released in 1991 by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, makes a comeback courtesy of 23-year-old British singer-songwriter James Bay.
- Bruce Springsteen’s 1984 hit “Glory Days” gets a modern-day makeover by Grammy®-nominated performer Andra Day, who voices Sweet Tea in the film—a performer in the Cotter Pin with a hairstyle reminiscent of Day’s signature look.
- *The Beatles’ classic 1965 song “Drive My Car” is back on the road, compliments of Hollywood Records artist Jorge Blanco.
- *”Freeway of Love,” made famous in 1985 by Aretha Franklin, is performed for the soundtrack by actress Lea DeLaria, who also provides the voice of Miss Fritter, a school bus-turned-demolition-derby-queen in “Cars 3.”
Three-time Grammy®-winning singer, songwriter, guitarist and entertainer Brad Paisley, who has 24 No. 1 singles under his belt, was called on to create two instrumental tracks that are featured on the Cars 3 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. “Truckaroo” and “Thunder Hollow Breakdown” accompany the film’s action-packed Crazy 8 demolition derby sequence that puts Lightning and Cruz in the midst of total chaos. “Brad Paisley was part of both ‘Cars’ and ‘Cars 2,'” said Tom MacDougall, executive vice president of music at Disney. “We knew he could have some fun with a demolition derby, and he just killed it. His down-home country tracks really add to the scene’s action and humor.”
CARS 3 ORIGINAL SCORE SOUNDTRACK
Newman, who was behind the Oscar®-winning music in Disney·Pixar’s “Toy Story 3” and “Monsters, Inc.,” composed the score for the first “Cars” movie and penned the Oscar®-nominated song “Our Town.” For “Cars 3,” Newman created a score that reflects the heart and high-octane action of the film—21 tracks are included on the soundtrack. “Randy has a real connection to the ‘Cars’ world,” says MacDougall. “His ability to capture the feeling of this film, its characters, locations and the Americana theme throughout is extraordinary—the music is so naturally fluid and inspired. It really feels like Randy is coming home with this score.”
Newman used a 110-piece orchestra to record the score. The Cars 3 Original Score Composed and Conducted by Randy Newman is available June 16 from Walt Disney Records and can be pre-ordered HERE.