If you’re planning to take in the animated adventure with family and friends, there are some things you should know before you go.
The 2017 Disney Sports Spirit Award will be presented to the University of Iowa this year.
Disney Sports announced the selection on Nov. 20 and will present the award to the school during The Home Depot College Football Awards presented by GILDAN, which are televised live on ESPN on Dec. 7 at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.
The Hawkeye program is a first-time recipient of the award given annually to college football’s most inspirational player, coach, team or figure. The program earned the award after launching a heart-warming tradition this season that is touching the lives of scores of young patients housed at a nearby children’s hospital.
On Sept. 2, shortly after opening the University of Iowa’s Stead Family’s Children’s Hospital that sits virtually next door to the team’s Kinnick Stadium, a new tradition was started during Hawkeye home football games.
At the end of the first quarter, the stadium announcer encourages the roughly 70,000 fans who attend every home game to stand and wave to the young patients at the children’s hospital. Word spread quickly inside the hospital, and more and more patients made their way to the hospital’s upper floors which provide an unobstructed view of the football field below.
And they started waving back.
As the season progressed, opposing players began joining the wave. Even the game’s referees have gotten in on what’s now affectionately called the “Kinnick Wave.’’ In its wake have come stories of young patients who have been moved to embrace a more hopeful outlook despite their illness.
“First and foremost, we are excited to have been selected the 2017 winner of the Disney Sports Spirit Award,” said Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz. “I don’t believe anyone would have imagined the wave — “The Kinnick Wave” — would have become such a universal show of support. It’s a simple way for 70,000 people to recognize the kids, the parents and hospital staff who are the real champions, fighting every day to overcome significant medical challenges. I’m proud that a kind gesture has had a profoundly positive impact on so many people in our state and the nation. We are honored and proud to be part of the Kinnick Wave.”
Disney Sports Vice President Faron Kelley, who will be in Atlanta to present the award to Coach Ferentz, said the “Kinnick Wave” has had a significant impact all over the state of Iowa.
“The impact these fans are having on the lives of those young patients probably can’t be fully measured,’’ said Kelley. “Waving at them is seemingly a simple gesture but the effect it’s having on those kids should be an inspiration to all of us, and that’s why we so enthusiastically chose the Iowa football program for this coveted award.’’
The Iowa football program becomes the 22nd recipient of the award, joining past honorees James Connor (2016), Hank Goff (2015), Bob Stoops and Sterling Shepard (2014), Devon Walker (2013), Nate Boyer (2012), Carson Tinker and the University of Alabama (2011), D.J. Williams (2010), Mark Herzlich (2009) and Tim Tebow (2008), among others. The award was first given in 1996 to Rossville High School’s Daniel Huffman.
Kelley will present the award during The Home Depot College Football Awards presented by GILDAN on Dec. 7, airing on ESPN at 7 p.m. EST. The show – hosted by ESPN’s Chris Fowler; and joined by Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Maria Taylor and Tom Rinaldi – will originate from the College Football Hall of Fame and Chick-fil-A Fan Experience in Atlanta.
These Thanksgiving buffets, dining events and special menus at Walt Disney World, in Florida, and Disneyland Resorts, in California, have the perfect makings for a new annual tradition, whether or not you dine with Mickey Mouse in tow.
A full day trip at a theme park is often where the average person pushes their phone to its limits. We use it to take pictures and videos, find location-based apps to look up wait times, play games while waiting in line, and more.
Please make sure you follow us on Twitter as we provide daily links to articles that are not featured on our website, only via our twitter feed.
Disney has raised the curtain on “Beauty and the Beast” aboard the Disney Dream! Their exclusive retelling of this tale as old as time is now wowing families in the Walt Disney Theatre.
This brand-new Disney Cruise Line theatrical production is both emotionally moving and visually stunning. The classic story is brought to life in an entirely new way using high-definition projections, innovative puppetry, elaborate costuming and, of course, classic Disney storytelling.
Here’s a look at scenes from this spectacular musical.
Back for its second year at Disney Springs®, Black Friday, Nov. 24, 2017, marks the onset of three full days featuring fantastic finds and prominent promotions throughout the property. Over 80 retailers will take part in the festivities. Here are just a few of the offerings guests can expect.
- Cast Costume Collection: A limited-release collection created by the Disney Parks Costuming team, this special assortment of bags transforms fabric from authentic Cast costumes from The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Attraction, Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto Restaurant, Haunted Mansion Attraction, and the The Great Movie Ride Attraction into collectible items that can be used and enjoyed in a new form. Totes, cosmetic cases and zip cases are the perfect gifts for those who want to own a piece of Disney Parks Magic! (Products will be available at Cherry Tree Lane at Marketplace Co-Op according to the following release schedule: 11/24/17 – The Great Movie Ride Attraction and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Attraction; 11/25/17 – Haunted Mansion Attraction; 11/26/17 – Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto Restaurant. Purchase limits apply.)
- New MagicBands: Fittingly for a Black Friday weekend, we will debut the much-anticipated solid black MagicBand, with a “first release” at Disney Springs before expanding to additional merchandise locations at Walt Disney World® Resort the following Monday. In addition, a limited-release Disney Springs Holiday MagicBand will be available while supplies last, enabling guests to unlock the magic of their Disney vacation with a festive new design. Both items will be released at World of Disney store on 11/24/17.
- Making its grand debut, the Woodland Winter Holiday Dress will be available for purchase at The Dress Shop at Cherry Tree Lane located inside Marketplace Co-Op, starting at 8 a.m. on Friday, 11/24/17. If your Clients love holiday patterns, the Winter Wonderland design from Dooney & Bourke will also debut on select bag styles – same place, same time, same date.
- The PANDORA Jewelry Mickey & Minnie Holiday Gift Set will be available for purchase at Ever After Jewelry Co. & Accessories, the new Disney-inspired jewelry shop in Town Center, starting on Saturday, 11/25/17.
- Do you love dogs? And purses? Dooney & Bourke will release a new “Disney Dogs” pattern on Sunday, 11/26/17, also at Ever After Jewelry Co. & Accessories.
- Limited Edition Pins at Disney’s Pin Traders:
- Walt Disney World Resort Limited Edition Pin
- Annual Passholder Pin and Ornament Set (11/24/17)
- Christmas Stitch Limited Edition Pin (11/25/17)
- Christmas Chip ‘n’ Dale Limited Edition Pin (11/26/17)
- “Weekend Only” offers at World of Disney store:
- Select Kids T-Shirts: $15 each when purchasing two
- Select Disney Mugs: $15 each when purchasing two
- Classic Princess Dolls: $15 each when purchasing two
Offers from World-Class Brands and Niche Boutiques:
- Alex and Ani – 20% off total purchase, plus debut of limited-edition snowflake bangle (offer valid Nov. 22-27, 2017)
- Art of Shaving – 40% off all shaving and skin care kits (offer valid Nov. 24, 2017)
- Chapel Hats – Buy one hat, get one 50% off (exclusions apply; offer valid Nov. 23-25, 2017)
- Edward Beiner – Buy one pair of glasses, get a second pair at 30% off
- Enjoy Your Face – Stop by this kiosk between 8 a.m. and noon and receive $2 off one face painting. Weather permitting, at Disney Springs location only. Offer valid Nov. 24, 2017.
- havaianas – Free beach towel with purchase of $40 or more
- Johnston & Murphy – multiple promotions including 40% off select men’s sweaters; buy one, get one free on select men’s scarves; $100 off leather briefcases and backpacks and more (see store for full details)
- Kiehl’s Since 1851 – $20 off purchases of $65 or more (exclusions apply, see store for full details)
- LACOSTE – Save 40% off entire store (exclusions apply)
- La Nouba™ by Cirque du Soleil® – All seats, except Golden Circle, are $39 each when tickets are purchased at the Box Office on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017 between 8 a.m.-11 p.m. (Up to 6 tickets per guest at the Black Friday rate, valid for shows Nov. 24-Dec. 16, 2017.)
- The LEGO Store – Get a complimentary nutcracker LEGO set with any purchase of $99 or ore, plus special doorbuster items
- Levi’s – 40% off entire purchase (see store for full details)
- Lilly Pulitzer – exclusive “Colorful Weekend” gift with purchase with $75 and $150 spends
- Origins – Pick up the Origins Super Stars set for $70 ($170 value) or the Origins Superstar Minis (a collection of best-selling products) for $25 ($90 value). (Origins Superstar Minis offer only valid Nov. 23-24, 2017).
- PANDORA Jewelry – 20% off gift sets (Nov. 24, 2017 only); buy two full-priced items, get one free (see store for full details)
- Pele Soccer – Save 50% off select jerseys and apparel
- SHORE – Save 20-50% off select items and enjoy other in-store promotions (see store for full details)
- Sperry – Doorbusters starting at $24.99 on Nov. 24, 2017, plus 30-50% off select styles all weekend
- Sugarboo & Co. – Doorbusters from 8 a.m.-12 p.m., plus 25-40% off select items in store (exclusions apply)
- Superdry – 30% off entire store (exclusions apply)
- UGG – Save 30% off select women’s, men’s and kid’s styles
- UNIQLO – in-store games and sweepstakes opportunities, including the chance to win a trip to Tokyo
- UNOde50 – Save 30% off all styles of men’s and women’s handcrafted jewelry (offer valid Nov. 24-27, 2017)
- Vera Bradley – Save 50% off select patterns and styles and 30% off top gifts for the season! Plus, Grand Totes are only $44 (MSRP $88) (Exclusions and limitations may apply. See a store associate for details.)
- Plus Many More!
(Unless otherwise noted, all offers are valid Nov. 24-26, 2017, while supplies last.)
Disney Springs will open two hours early, at 8 a.m., on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017 with regular operating hours the remainder of the weekend. Be sure to keep an eye out for special food and beverage deals and make time to enjoy festive holiday offerings including the Disney Springs Christmas Tree Trail with plenty of photo ops, Stitch’s Holiday Gift Hunt which will help keep the kids entertained while you shop and Santa’s Chalet, which should give you some clues into everyone’s holidays wish lists!
There Are More Than 200 Holiday Treats Coming to Disney Parks This Season — Here’s What You’re Going to Have to Try
Prepare your appetite for the world’s most delicious advent calendar, because there are hundreds of festive flavors descending upon Disney’s parks on both coasts.
Disneyland and Walt Disney World resort have added 200 festive foods to ring in the holiday season, and with favorites like praline cheesecake, spiced-rum punch, sticky toffee pudding, white chocolate hot cocoa, and pumpkin spice bread pudding among them, you’ll need a holiday miracle to make it through them all.
You might associate Florida’s Walt Disney World with summer vacation getaways. While the mega theme park resort is busy in June, July, and August, historically it actually welcomes more visitors during the week between Christmas and New Year’s than any other time of year.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Capturing the spirit of early California through inspiring design and daring architecture, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is a deluxe 948-room resort hotel property, offering a premium option for business or pleasure visits to the Disneyland Resort. Recently completed an exciting, hotel-wide renovation, this AAA Four-Diamond hotel is the first Disney resort hotel in the world to be located inside a theme park—Disney California Adventure—making stays at the deluxe hotel a uniquely themed experience.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa celebrates the romantic Arts & Crafts movement of early 20th century California. Designed to capture the artistic exploration of California’s coastlines with its Monterey pines and redwood forests, the hotel is layered with the memories of the arroyo craftsmen, the mission pioneers and the Plein Air school of painters.
At the Disneyland Hotel, guests will find a family vacation resort brimming with Disney magic and benefits. Offering 973 rooms, the hotel features a variety of restaurants and lounges, shops, and three swimming pools, among other amenities.
Recent renovations to the Disneyland Hotel include a new pool and water play area, featuring slides and a splash pool in an architectural design reminiscent of the 20th Century Disneyland Hotel Monorail Station. Guests can grab a bite near the pool at Tangaroa Terrace, or sip on tropical cocktails and flavorful juices at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar.
Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel
Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel overlooks Paradise Pier, one of the most colorful sections of Disney California Adventure, making the hotel’s name and theme a natural fit.
Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel prides itself on being one of the finest hotels in its class. The 15-story, high-rise structure encompasses 481 guest rooms, including suites and poolside cabana rooms, as well as 15 meeting rooms totaling 30,000 square feet of space. The hotel also has a rooftop swimming pool and whirlpool, a fitness center, dining in the mellow PCH Grill, quick bites and refreshments at the lobby Surfside Lounge or the poolside Sand Bar, gift shops and a game arcade.