- The new Festival of Holidays celebrates holiday festivities of diverse cultures with music, dance and craft-making, plus food at the Festive Foods Marketplace. The daily lineup of entertainment includes nearly 50 performances of nine unique shows, with special Disney characters, street parties, cavalcades, musical ensembles and dance performances. The celebrations include Diwali, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas/Navidad and Three Kings Day. Guests can look for performances of traditional Indian dance that builds to a Bollywood party, a Klezmer band with a new global sound, the Mariachi Divas and an a cappella vocal group that puts an R&B spin on holiday songs.
- Princess Elena, the first Disney Princess inspired by diverse Latin American cultures, will make her Disneyland Resort debut as part of the Festival of Holidays. She will perform a song in “Princess Elena’s Musical Grand Arrival,” and she will appear at a character greeting location. Guests will recognize this brave and adventurous teenager from the Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor.”
- The popular Disney ¡Viva Navidad! also returns as part of the fun at Festival of Holidays, with a wonderful finale to celebrate Three Kings Day (Dia de los Reyes). The special festivities for Three Kings Day will run Jan. 5-8, 2017, including music and storytelling in Paradise Garden. Treats for this holiday will include traditional Rosca de Reyes bread.
- “World of Color – Season of Light” brings the warmth and heartfelt spirit of the holidays to this stunning, nighttime water spectacular, with its 1,200 powerful fountains shooting water as high as 200 feet to help tell the story. The show’s musical soundtrack features some well-known musical artists performing popular holiday tunes, including “Let it Snow” by Dean Martin and “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” by Michael Buble and Idina Menzel. With classic holiday music, humor and memorable moments from Disney animated films, this becomes an ideal way for guests to conclude their holiday visit.
- Jolly old St. Nick arrives at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail for Santa’s Holiday Visit. His joyful elves have transformed the trail into a magical playground of holiday fun and games, including opportunities for guests to join the ranks of Santa’s elves.
- The residents of Cars Land decorate for the holidays, beginning with a whimsical “snowcar” that greets guests on the road to Radiator Springs. Each address along Route 66–from Flo’s V-8 Café to Luigi’s Casa della Tires–features holiday décor that reflects the personality of the “Cars” character who lives there.
- “a bug’s land” transforms for the holidays, too, as Flik and his bug friends deck their land with oversized lights and ornaments.
- A dazzling, 50-foot Christmas tree adorns Carthay Circle, drawing guests into the holiday magic along Buena Vista Street. The tree and surrounding buildings, inspired by Los Angeles as it appeared when Walt Disney arrived in the 1920s, create scenes of another era with vintage-style decor.
Archive for Disney California Adventure
LUNAR NEW YEAR CELEBRATION EXPANDS TO 17 DAYS, JAN. 20 THROUGH FEB. 5, AT DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE PARK
The biggest Lunar New Year Celebration yet at Disney California Adventure® Park is coming soon to the Disneyland® Resort! Expanding to 17 days this year – Friday, Jan. 20, through Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017 – the festivities will feature delicious food, colorful live performances, fun-filled activities, beautiful decor, special limited-time merchandise, Disney characters in their Lunar New Year best and more.
Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year. Highlights of the celebration at Disney California Adventure Park include
- Three new Asian marketplaces offering foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures.
- Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Mulan and Mushu, dressed in their best to celebrate Lunar New Year.
- Incredible entertainment throughout the Paradise Garden area, including a troupe of Chinese acrobats and a variety of authentic musicians and performers.
Guests can celebrate the tradition, sights, sounds and tastes of Lunar New Year with a touch of Disney magic, only at Disney California Adventure park from Jan. 20 through Feb. 5, 2017!
- Festival of Holidays– The new Festival of Holidays celebrates time-honored traditions and heartwarming experiences inspired by holiday festivals around the world. Guests at the Festival of Holidays will discover something fun around every corner – from delicious, internationally inspired food and beverages at 14 themed festival marketplaces to music, dance and diverse cultural holiday celebrations, including the popular Disney ¡Viva Navidad! The global sounds of special guest musical groups will ring throughout the festival, and the young and young-at-heart will celebrate with some of their favorite Disney characters.
- “World of Color – Season of Light”– The all-new nighttime spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light,” immerses guests in the warmth and heartfelt spirit of the holidays. Powerful fountains shoot water up to 200 feet high, creating massive water screens to take guests through a sparkling winter fantasy. The brilliant show combines classic holiday songs, humor and memorable moments from treasured Disney animated films to entertain the entire family.
- Princess Elena – Princess Elena, the first Disney Princess inspired by diverse Latin American cultures, will make her Disneyland Resort debut in a colorful cavalcade during the Festival of Holidays. The brave teenager from the Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor” will perform musical numbers and also meet with guests in a character greeting area in the park.
The all-new, nighttime spectacular “World of Color–Season of Light” wraps guests in the warm glow of holiday magic at Disney California Adventure Park. Fusing cherished holiday music sung by beloved artists with memorable moments from treasured Disney animated films, this sparkling winter fantasy is magical for all ages. This fourth new production of “World of Color” is more brilliant than ever with additional lighting, lasers and high-definition projections.
- More than 120 characters from 30-plus Disney and Disney•Pixar animated films are included in “World of Color–Season of Light.”
- The show has been in development for nearly a year, and the production team spent 10 weeks working overnight in the theme park to program the new show.
- The score for “World of Color–Season of Light” was recorded in sessions in London, Nashville and Chicago.
- The soundtrack features some well-known musical artists performing popular holiday tunes:
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
- “Let It Snow” by Dean Martin
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Michael Bublé and Idina Menzel
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Amy Grant
- “Mele Kalikimaka” by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
- “Feliz Navidad” by José Feliciano
- “Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies” by Pentatonix
- “Wizards in Winter” by Transiberian Orchestra
- “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley
- “Let There Be Peace on Earth” by Heather Headley
- In the mesmerizing start, the last leaves of fall givie way to the arrival of winter, as Mickey and his pals decorate their homes for Christmas. Themes include:
- Snow: The Frost Fairies from “Fantasia” create a winter wonderland.
- Love and Romance: Some of Disney’s romantic, fairytale couples take center stage, celebrating the holidays with the ones they love.
- Family and Home: From Andy’s family in “Toy Story” to a “Mele Kalikimaka” with Stitch and his ‘Ohana and a “Feliz Navidad” from the Three Caballeros, the story demonstrates that the most precious holiday moments are spending time with family.
- The Nutcracker: Highlights from Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” ballet accompany hilarious visuals of gracefully dancing hippos, ostriches, elephants and alligators from Disney’s “Fantasia.”
- Lights: Goofy goes all out in an over-the-top holiday light displays — until his ode turns to overload and everything short circuits, leading to a “Blue Christmas” with Sadness from Disney•Pixar’s “Inside Out.”
- Peace on Earth: In a stunningly beautiful finale, the lagoon is illuminated with the light of hope, filling guests’ hearts with the spirit of peace, joy and goodwill to all.
Lighting & Projection
- For “World of Color–Season of Light,” the lagoon will be flooded with more light than ever as five newly installed barges erupt in a brilliant lighting effect to punctuate the grand finale.
- More than 800 individual light fixtures are needed to illuminate the show.
- Six laser projectors are deployed to create a variety of entertaining effects.
- Nearly 20 high-definition projectors convey imagery to the screens of water.
- Paradise Bay lagoon serves as the stage for “World of Color—Season of Light.” The lagoon covers 3.5 acres with nearly 15 million gallons of water and more than 1,200 fountains.
- The tables on which the fountains and other equipment sit comprise nearly one full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field and capable of three position levels: one for performance, one completely submerged and one for maintenance.
- A vast underwater grid contains more than 18,000 points of control. Each fountain has multiple points of control for lighting, color intensity, water angle, height and more.
- Fountain heights range from 30 feet to 200 feet in the air. By way of comparison, Mickey’s Fun Wheel reaches a height of 150 feet.
- The show features one of the world’s largest projected water screens – a wall of water 380 feet wide by 50 feet high, for a projection surface of 19,000 square feet.
World of Color Highlights and History
- “World of Color – Season of Light” is the fourth all-new production to take place on Paradise Bay at Disney California Adventure Park. Previous shows were:
- The original “World of Color” (2010)
- “World of Color – Winter Dreams” (2013)
- “World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney” (2015)
- In its history, “World of Color” has incorporated pre-shows and enhancements to keep the show fresh for guests, including a New Year’s Eve pre-show (2010), a July 4 Independence Day pre-show (2011) and “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (2011).
- “World of Color” received the 2010 Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) Award for Outstanding Achievement–Nighttime Spectacular, for being “a visual and technical marvel.”
New this year at Disney California Adventure Park, Festival of Holidays will entertain guests with heartwarming holiday festivities inspired by cultural traditions from around the world.
Inspired by and expanding on the warmth and fun of the popular ¡Viva Navidad! celebration, the all-new Festival of Holidays will immerse guests in the diverse celebrations of several holiday seasons. Guests will discover something around every corner, from festive food and beverages in 14 marketplace locations to fun craft-making and the universal languages of music and dance.
The daily lineup of entertainment includes nearly 50 performances of nine unique shows, with more than 100 artists rejoicing in the holiday season. They include special Disney characters, cavalcades and performing ensembles that range from a Klezmer band with a global sound to traditional Indian dancers. Disney ¡Viva Navidad! is part of the fun and Princess Elena, the first Disney Princess inspired by Latin American cultures, makes her Disneyland Resort debut as part of the Festival. Princess Elena stars in the new Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor.”
An all-new holiday spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light,” brightens the night on Paradise Bay during Festival of Holidays.
Holidays celebrated throughout the Festival:
- Diwali, the Eastern festival of lights
- Three Kings Day/Dia de los Reyes
Festive Foods Marketplace: From chile pozole to adobo pork bao and mini turkey pot pies, the food and drink at 14 marketplace locations will tempt guests along the Disney California Adventure walkway, from Carthay Circle to Paradise Garden. Menu items include:
- Heritage Cottage – braised beef short ribs, sausages and sauerkraut, vanilla rice pudding
- Making Spirits Bright – wines by the glass and tasting flights, warm holiday spiced wines, sparkling juice
- Nosh & Nibbles – brisket potato croquette, sweet spiced noodle kugel, Reuben potato smash
- Good Fortune’s Feast – adobo pork bao, smoked duck and vegetable spring roll, chilled papaya shrimp salad, winter mint milk tea
- Spice Salutations – chicken and potato curry, carrot and chickpea fritters, cardamom and saffron sweet cheese tart, mango lassi
- Brews & Bites – local seasonal and international beers and tasting flights, holiday cheese ball with crackers and pretzels
- Mistletoe Morsels – holiday Swedish meatballs, classic crab cake, shrimp cocktail martini, holiday eggnog cocktail, merry berry sherbet punch.
- Southern Hope Holidays – grilled spicy chicken sausage, mac and cheese, sweet potato pie, hard lemonade, cranberry sweet tea
- Winter Sliderland – roasted turkey slider, Kalua pork slider, praline & bourbon whoopee pie, hard cider, sparkling juice
- Fiesta en Familia – green chile pozole, red chile pozole, fresh fish ceviche, guava aqua frescha
- Yuletide Yummies – mini turkey pot pie, pesto puff pastry twist, gingerbread Bundt cake, eggnog cheesecake, mocha yule log, raspberry Linzer tart, sticky toffee pudding, inspired wines and flavorful beers by glass and flight, frozen chocolate milk, pumpkin spice hot chocolate
- Mosaic Delights – roasted lamb, mini falafel donuts, baklava, iced Moroccan mint tea
- Abuelita’s Kitchen – chicken cilantro tamale, beef and cheese tamale, chorizo bean sopes, spiced peanut brittle, pomegranate margarita
- Treats for Santa – cookie decorating, harvest puff pastry, cookies, panettenes, peppermint bark, fudge, warm bourbon cider, white hot chocolate, holiday fruit punch
In addition, Paradise Garden Grill will offer some seasonal specials for Disney ¡Viva Navidad! including torta al pastor, street style tacos and chicken mole.
- The classic Disney ¡Viva Navidad! holiday celebration includes a high energy street party hosted by The Three Caballeros (Donald Duck, Jose Carioca and Pancho). Mickey and Minnie join the fun, dressed in their fiesta best, along with folklorico and samba dancers. Additional Disney ¡Viva Navidad! highlights include holiday foods, crafts, Disney character experiences and Latin American bands.
- Princess Elena’s Musical Grand Arrival welcomes the adventurous and kindhearted Princess Elena of Avalor, her royal dancers and magical friend Skylar as they celebrate the holiday with an uplifting musical cavalcade.
- Blue13 Dance Company turns up the fun with traditional Indian dances that build to a Bollywood party for all.
- Mischievous Holiday Toy Drummers march to their own merry beat as they perform precision drills with holiday cheer.
- The GRAMMY® Award-winning Mariachi Divas celebrate the holidays with their signature repertoire of catchy bilingual tunes.
- Mostly Kosher Klezmer band showcases an entertaining and eclectic musical tapestry that weaves together jazz, Latin rock and hip-hop.
- RAISE, an uplifting a cappella vocal group, brings its powerful harmonious R&B spin to new and popular holiday songs.
- Santa will arrive for Santa’s Holiday Visit to greet guests of all ages. The joyful elves have transformed Redwood Creek Challenge Trail into a jolly playground of holiday fun and games.
FESTIVAL OF HOLIDAYS BRINGS DELIGHTFUL ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCES TO DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE PARK BEGINNING NOVEMBER 10
The holiday season kicks off at Disney California Adventure® Park with the debut of Festival of Holidays on Nov. 10, 2016. You are invited to come celebrate heartwarming holiday festivities inspired by cultural traditions from around the world. They’ll create new memories as they share in delicious food and drink, fun craft making and the universal language of music and dance.
- Blue13 Dance Company – The spirited performers of Blue13 Dance Company turn up the fun with traditional Indian dances that build to a Bollywood party for all.
- Mostly Kosher – Klezmer band Mostly Kosher showcases an entertaining and eclectic musical tapestry that weaves together jazz, Latin, rock and hip-hop.
- RAISE – This uplifting a cappella vocal group brings a powerful, harmonious R&B spin to new and popular holiday songs.
- Holiday Toy Drummers – The mischievous Holiday Toy Drummers march to their own merry beat as they perform precision drills with holiday cheer.
- Mariachi Divas – GRAMMY Award-winning Mariachi Divas showcase their signature repertoire of catchy tunes.
- Disney ¡Viva Navidad! – Your Clients can enjoy holiday foods, crafts, Disney Character greetings and Latin American bands. Plus, The Three Caballeros host a fun street party featuring folklórico and samba dancers, live musicians and Mickey and Minnie in their fiesta best!
- Princess Elena’s Musical Grand Arrival – Elena of Avalor makes her Disneyland® Resort debut during Festival of Holidays! Your Clients can welcome the adventurous and kind-hearted Crown Princess, her royal dancers and magical friend Skylar as they celebrate the holidays with an uplifting musical cavalcade.
All this, plus an array of Disney Character experiences and kid-friendly activities!
During Festival of Holidays at Disney California Adventure Park, you can stop by Redwood Creek Challenge Trail for Santa’s Holiday Visit, where you’ll meet Santa and see how his joyful elves have transformed the area into a jolly playground of holiday fun and games.
As the sun sets, you won’t want to miss the evening concert at Paradise Park, featuring performances from two of the festival’s musical groups. And, a day of celebrating the season wouldn’t be complete without experiencing the all-new, nighttime water and light spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light,” combining classic holiday songs with beloved characters and heartwarming moments from Disney and Pixar animation to create a sparkling winter fantasy filled with magic!
Festival of Holidays kicks off Nov. 10, 2016 at Disney California Adventure Park and continues daily through Jan. 8, 2017.
Video – Transformation Underway Now for Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! at Disney California Adventure
A huge transformation is underway now at Disney California Adventure park, as The Collector’s Fortress takes shape at the site of what is now the Hollywood Tower Hotel. It will be home to a new adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, and today the Disneyland Resort provide a detailed look at what the fortress will look like when the attraction opens summer 2017.
You’ll still need a friend in high places—like, steeple of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle high—to snag a seat at Disney’s newest members-only lounge, 1901, but getting your foot in the door at the theme park itself has gotten a smidge cheaper, if you know where to look.
From the theatrical excitement of “Frozen – Live at the Hyperion” to the breathtaking adventure of Soarin’ Around the World and the thrills of Cars Land, Disney California Adventure Park is a testament to what Disney Parks does best–-connect guests to the iconic stories, characters and music they love, helping them make shared memories to last a lifetime.
A dynamic, new stage presentation based on the blockbuster Disney animated film, “Frozen,” and a new, airborne experience based on the classic Soarin’ Over California attraction are the latest additions to the family-friendly fun at Disney California Adventure.
“Frozen – Live at the Hyperion,” immerses audiences in the beloved world of “Frozen,” taking them on the heartwarming journey of Anna and Elsa, and delighting them with the dramatic effects of live theater. The show features elaborate costumes and sets, stunning special effects, and show-stopping production numbers. New technologies showcase the storytelling in creative and unexpected ways as the scenic design and large moving set pieces create a cinema-style energy. State-of-the-art projections create dynamic environments for the performers and, of course, there is snow throughout the interior of the theater–on stage and over the audience.
Soarin’ Around the World takes guests beyond the original Soarin’ scenes of California to locations worldwide, including the snowy peak of the Matterhorn, the Great Wall of China, the majestic buttes of Monument Valley, the Great Pyramids of Egypt, and spectacular Sydney Harbour. Guests don’t just see these gorgeous landscapes with their eyes. They use all their senses to feel, smell and hear the world through this thrilling immersive experience that could only be created by Disney.
Most guests enter Disney California Adventure through Buena Vista Street, a bustling center of entertainment and opportunity that transports guests to the 1920s-era California that attracted Walt Disney in his early days as an animation pioneer.
With its familiar shop names, period costumes and architecture, Buena Vista Street is inspired by the “city of dreams” Walt Disney found when he arrived by train in 1923.
The icon of Disney California Adventure, the Carthay Circle Theatre, is a majestic building that recalls, in name and architectural style, the great California movie palace where “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” premiered in 1937. The theater building is home to the Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge, which anchors the plaza at the end of Buena Vista Street. Upstairs, guests enjoy Southern California cuisine and the ambience of a post-gala party at Carthay Circle Restaurant, while the ground floor Carthay Circle Lounge offers appetizers and bar service, along with historic photographs and exhibits. The décor is reminiscent of a 1930s Hollywood movie premiere.
The Red Car Trolley, based on Los Angeles’ historic Pacific Electric Red Car Line, transports guests from Buena Vista Street down Hollywood Boulevard, to the footsteps of the famed Hollywood Tower Hotel, home to The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror. Street characters and entertainers such as the “Red Car Trolley News Boys” and “Five & Dime” add to the lively fun along Buena Vista Street, engaging guests as they step back in time.
The expansion of Disney California Adventure, completed in 2012, produced a succession of new entertainment and attractions.
- Toy Story Mania! opened in 2008, inviting guests into an interactive, ride-through, attraction where they enter a 4-D carnival midway hosted by characters from the Disney●Pixar movie “Toy Story.”
- “World of Color,” the nighttime water spectacular, debuted in 2010 and the popular show has been seen by more than 10 million guests. The fountains and special effects can be programmed, creating new and special “World of Color” shows for Holidays and special events.
- In 2011, the park introduced The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, a ride-through attraction based on the Disney animated classic movie.
- Additional highlights include restaurants such as Paradise Garden Grill and the enhancement and re-theming of Grizzly Peak Airfield as well as attractions such as Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Silly Symphony Swings and Goofy’s Sky
About the Disneyland Resort
The Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney California Adventure Park – plus three hotels and the Downtown Disney District, comprising unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which also features 50 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club units; the magical, 973-room Disneyland Hotel – both AAA Four Diamond properties – and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” theme. For information on attractions and vacations at the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com, call (866) 43-DISNEY or contact local travel agents. Located in Anaheim, Calif., the Disneyland Resort opened July 17, 1955. Open daily, year-round.
Artist Renderings of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission BREAKOUT!’ Coming to Disney California Adventure
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! — Debuting in summer 2017, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! will take Disney California Adventure park guests through the fortress-like museum of the mysterious Collector, who is keeping his newest acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy, as prisoners.
Guests will board a gantry lift which launches them into a daring adventure as they join Rocket Raccoon in an attempt to set free his fellow Guardians. The new attraction will transform the structure currently housing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ into an epic new adventure, enhancing the breathtaking free fall sensation with new visual and audio effects to create a variety of ride experiences.
Guests will experience multiple, random and unique ride profiles in which the rise and fall of the gantry lift rocks to the beat of music inspired by the film’s popular soundtrack. (Artist Concept/Disneyland Resort)