Disney California Adventure® Park at Disneyland® Resort will soon be the destination for adventure, intrigue and triumph as recruits from around the world join forces with legendary Super Heroes in an ever-expanding universe of stories that will grow even bigger over time. This summer, we are kicking off the action with the May 27 grand opening of the thrilling, rocking attraction, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
This new adventure blasts guests straight into the “Guardians of the Galaxy” story for the first time ever, alongside characters from the blockbuster films and comics. As Guests help Rocket bust his pals out of the Collector’s Fortress, they’ll experience randomized ride experiences complete with all-new visual and audio effects and music inspired by the popular film soundtracks. Guests will never know which adventure they’ll get!
There will be even more ways to step into Super Hero stories with Summer of Heroes, May 27 through Sept.10, 2017. Guests can answer the call for this limited-time celebration as they join the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy for all-new epic experiences.
Summer of Heroes will launch these new, year-round experiences:
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off! – Guests may run into the Guardians of the Galaxy on their way to the Milano, with Star-Lord firing up his old-school boom box to get the party started. Gamora may prefer to stand back and observe, but everyone else is bound to get in the groove and show off their moves during this awesome rock ‘n’ roll bash!
- Super Hero Encounters – For the first time, citizens of Earth will come face-to-face with Groot, one of the Guardians of the Galaxy! Guests can also step up to meet the First Avenger, Captain America, along with everyone’s favorite web slinger, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.
And for a limited time, Guests can step up to the challenge with new adventures during Summer of Heroes:
- Avengers Training Initiative – Black Widow and Hawkeye assemble young recruits for a series of tests to see if they have what it takes to join the ranks of the Avengers.
- Heroic Encounter: Black Widow – Black Widow will arrive on the scene several times throughout the day in an armored Avengers vehicle for her heroic encounter with park Guests.
- Grab a Piece (or Bite) of the Action – Special themed merchandise and food will be available throughout Hollywood Land.
The summer brings even more to get excited about over at Disneyland park as classic favorites return with the reopening of the Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America attractions, with the “Fantasmic!” nighttime spectacular returning later in the summer. We’ll have opening dates to share soon for these attractions. And, guests can also catch the classic Main Street Electrical Parade during its limited-time run at Disneyland Park through June 18.
Guests can experience Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! at Disney California Adventure Park and Summer of Heroes, beginning May 27, 2017!
Entertainment and attractions are subject to change and cancellation without notice. Please check the show guide for days and times.
Check out some B-Roll video from the 2017 Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure.
The Disney California Adventure® Food & Wine Festival, the popular culinary celebration at Disneyland® Resort, returns daily March 10-April 16, 2017!
Each day, guests are invited to celebrate some of the best of delicious California cuisine throughout Disney California Adventure Park. And this year, there will be even more Festival Marketplaces to enjoy, as well as enhanced Festival-inspired menus at existing restaurants and eateries, where guests can sip and savor delicious flavors from across the Golden State. Guests will also enjoy culinary experiences created for the whole family, including a variety of food, beverage and lifestyle seminars, demonstrations and presentations.
Plus, the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival will feature ticketed events, such as culinary demonstrations, beer, wine and spirit seminars, premium dining events and demonstrations by celebrity chefs such as Guy Fieri, Jamie Deen, Robert Irvine, Duff Goldman, Emily Ellyn, Keegan Gerhard and more. Tickets for these experiences will be available beginning Feb. 1, 2017.
The debut of a new, high-energy adventure with outrageous and irreverent characters from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” film, plus the return of the beloved Main Street Electrical Parade are part of the magic awaiting guests in 2017 at the Disneyland Resort.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an epic new adventure combining a breathtaking free-fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects, including music inspired by the popular “Guardians of the Galaxy” film soundtrack. Guests will experience a variety of randomized ride experiences, building anticipation each time for what they will see.
In addition, guests will blast into thrilling Star Wars adventures at Season of the Force, join in the cultural festivities of Lunar New Year, encounter familiar and new character friends–and much more.
At Disney California Adventure Park:
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Opening for summer 2017 at Disney California Adventure Park, this thrilling attraction brings more Super Heroes to the park with a captivating new story:
- Guests at Disney California Adventure will join in a daring confrontation with one of the most unusual characters in the park’s history: Tanaleer Tivan, the Collector from the blockbuster film “Guardians of the Galaxy.” He has opened his unique collection of fauna, relics and species to guests for a special tour culminating with his prized possessions: the Guardians of the Galaxy themselves! Fortunately, Rocket, the fearless, genetically modified raccoon from the film, has a plan to free his friends–and that plan includes recruiting Disneyland Resort guests in a sensational rescue effort.
- A comically cosmic, rocking adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!will drop guests directly into the story alongside characters from the comic books and the blockbuster films. Anchoring a broader universe of Super Heroes that will grow over time in Disney California Adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! will transform the structure currently housing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.™ Guests will experience multiple, random and unique ride profiles in which the rise and fall of the gantry lift rocks to the beat of music inspired by the film’s popular soundtrack.
The biggest Lunar New Year Celebration yet at Disney California Adventure® Park is coming soon to the Disneyland® Resort! Expanding to 17 days this year – Friday, Jan. 20, through Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017 – the festivities will feature delicious food, colorful live performances, fun-filled activities, beautiful decor, special limited-time merchandise, Disney characters in their Lunar New Year best and more.
Each night, before “World of Color,” the Lunar New Year Celebration will culminate in a new six-minute pre-show called “Hurry Home,” presented in water, animation and special effects on Paradise Bay. This charming story of a Little Lantern on its journey home to join its Lantern family in celebrating Lunar New Year features animated appearances by Mulan and Mushu in “dream sequences” inspired by traditional Chinese paper cut-out style animation and a score highlighted by an original arrangement of the music created for the Grand Opening of Shanghai Disney Resort by Academy Award-winning composer Tan Dun (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”).
Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year. Highlights of the celebration at Disney California Adventure Park include
- Three new Asian marketplaces offering foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures.
- Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Mulan and Mushu, dressed in their best to celebrate Lunar New Year.
- Incredible entertainment throughout the Paradise Garden area, including a troupe of Chinese acrobats and a variety of authentic musicians and performers.
Guests can celebrate the tradition, sights, sounds and tastes of Lunar New Year with a touch of Disney magic, only at Disney California Adventure park from Jan. 20 through Feb. 5, 2017!
The all-new, nighttime spectacular “World of Color–Season of Light” wraps guests in the warm glow of holiday magic at Disney California Adventure Park. Fusing cherished holiday music sung by beloved artists with memorable moments from treasured Disney animated films, this sparkling winter fantasy is magical for all ages. This fourth new production of “World of Color” is more brilliant than ever with additional lighting, lasers and high-definition projections.
- More than 120 characters from 30-plus Disney and Disney•Pixar animated films are included in “World of Color–Season of Light.”
- The show has been in development for nearly a year, and the production team spent 10 weeks working overnight in the theme park to program the new show.
- The score for “World of Color–Season of Light” was recorded in sessions in London, Nashville and Chicago.
- The soundtrack features some well-known musical artists performing popular holiday tunes:
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
- “Let It Snow” by Dean Martin
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Michael Bublé and Idina Menzel
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Amy Grant
- “Mele Kalikimaka” by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
- “Feliz Navidad” by José Feliciano
- “Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies” by Pentatonix
- “Wizards in Winter” by Transiberian Orchestra
- “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley
- “Let There Be Peace on Earth” by Heather Headley
- In the mesmerizing start, the last leaves of fall givie way to the arrival of winter, as Mickey and his pals decorate their homes for Christmas. Themes include:
- Snow: The Frost Fairies from “Fantasia” create a winter wonderland.
- Love and Romance: Some of Disney’s romantic, fairytale couples take center stage, celebrating the holidays with the ones they love.
- Family and Home: From Andy’s family in “Toy Story” to a “Mele Kalikimaka” with Stitch and his ‘Ohana and a “Feliz Navidad” from the Three Caballeros, the story demonstrates that the most precious holiday moments are spending time with family.
- The Nutcracker: Highlights from Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” ballet accompany hilarious visuals of gracefully dancing hippos, ostriches, elephants and alligators from Disney’s “Fantasia.”
- Lights: Goofy goes all out in an over-the-top holiday light displays — until his ode turns to overload and everything short circuits, leading to a “Blue Christmas” with Sadness from Disney•Pixar’s “Inside Out.”
- Peace on Earth: In a stunningly beautiful finale, the lagoon is illuminated with the light of hope, filling guests’ hearts with the spirit of peace, joy and goodwill to all.
Lighting & Projection
- For “World of Color–Season of Light,” the lagoon will be flooded with more light than ever as five newly installed barges erupt in a brilliant lighting effect to punctuate the grand finale.
- More than 800 individual light fixtures are needed to illuminate the show.
- Six laser projectors are deployed to create a variety of entertaining effects.
- Nearly 20 high-definition projectors convey imagery to the screens of water.
- Paradise Bay lagoon serves as the stage for “World of Color—Season of Light.” The lagoon covers 3.5 acres with nearly 15 million gallons of water and more than 1,200 fountains.
- The tables on which the fountains and other equipment sit comprise nearly one full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field and capable of three position levels: one for performance, one completely submerged and one for maintenance.
- A vast underwater grid contains more than 18,000 points of control. Each fountain has multiple points of control for lighting, color intensity, water angle, height and more.
- Fountain heights range from 30 feet to 200 feet in the air. By way of comparison, Mickey’s Fun Wheel reaches a height of 150 feet.
- The show features one of the world’s largest projected water screens – a wall of water 380 feet wide by 50 feet high, for a projection surface of 19,000 square feet.
World of Color Highlights and History
- “World of Color – Season of Light” is the fourth all-new production to take place on Paradise Bay at Disney California Adventure Park. Previous shows were:
- The original “World of Color” (2010)
- “World of Color – Winter Dreams” (2013)
- “World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney” (2015)
- In its history, “World of Color” has incorporated pre-shows and enhancements to keep the show fresh for guests, including a New Year’s Eve pre-show (2010), a July 4 Independence Day pre-show (2011) and “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (2011).
- “World of Color” received the 2010 Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) Award for Outstanding Achievement–Nighttime Spectacular, for being “a visual and technical marvel.”
New this year at Disney California Adventure Park, Festival of Holidays will entertain guests with heartwarming holiday festivities inspired by cultural traditions from around the world.
Inspired by and expanding on the warmth and fun of the popular ¡Viva Navidad! celebration, the all-new Festival of Holidays will immerse guests in the diverse celebrations of several holiday seasons. Guests will discover something around every corner, from festive food and beverages in 14 marketplace locations to fun craft-making and the universal languages of music and dance.
The daily lineup of entertainment includes nearly 50 performances of nine unique shows, with more than 100 artists rejoicing in the holiday season. They include special Disney characters, cavalcades and performing ensembles that range from a Klezmer band with a global sound to traditional Indian dancers. Disney ¡Viva Navidad! is part of the fun and Princess Elena, the first Disney Princess inspired by Latin American cultures, makes her Disneyland Resort debut as part of the Festival. Princess Elena stars in the new Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor.”
An all-new holiday spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light,” brightens the night on Paradise Bay during Festival of Holidays.
Holidays celebrated throughout the Festival:
- Diwali, the Eastern festival of lights
- Three Kings Day/Dia de los Reyes
Festive Foods Marketplace: From chile pozole to adobo pork bao and mini turkey pot pies, the food and drink at 14 marketplace locations will tempt guests along the Disney California Adventure walkway, from Carthay Circle to Paradise Garden. Menu items include:
- Heritage Cottage – braised beef short ribs, sausages and sauerkraut, vanilla rice pudding
- Making Spirits Bright – wines by the glass and tasting flights, warm holiday spiced wines, sparkling juice
- Nosh & Nibbles – brisket potato croquette, sweet spiced noodle kugel, Reuben potato smash
- Good Fortune’s Feast – adobo pork bao, smoked duck and vegetable spring roll, chilled papaya shrimp salad, winter mint milk tea
- Spice Salutations – chicken and potato curry, carrot and chickpea fritters, cardamom and saffron sweet cheese tart, mango lassi
- Brews & Bites – local seasonal and international beers and tasting flights, holiday cheese ball with crackers and pretzels
- Mistletoe Morsels – holiday Swedish meatballs, classic crab cake, shrimp cocktail martini, holiday eggnog cocktail, merry berry sherbet punch.
- Southern Hope Holidays – grilled spicy chicken sausage, mac and cheese, sweet potato pie, hard lemonade, cranberry sweet tea
- Winter Sliderland – roasted turkey slider, Kalua pork slider, praline & bourbon whoopee pie, hard cider, sparkling juice
- Fiesta en Familia – green chile pozole, red chile pozole, fresh fish ceviche, guava aqua frescha
- Yuletide Yummies – mini turkey pot pie, pesto puff pastry twist, gingerbread Bundt cake, eggnog cheesecake, mocha yule log, raspberry Linzer tart, sticky toffee pudding, inspired wines and flavorful beers by glass and flight, frozen chocolate milk, pumpkin spice hot chocolate
- Mosaic Delights – roasted lamb, mini falafel donuts, baklava, iced Moroccan mint tea
- Abuelita’s Kitchen – chicken cilantro tamale, beef and cheese tamale, chorizo bean sopes, spiced peanut brittle, pomegranate margarita
- Treats for Santa – cookie decorating, harvest puff pastry, cookies, panettenes, peppermint bark, fudge, warm bourbon cider, white hot chocolate, holiday fruit punch
In addition, Paradise Garden Grill will offer some seasonal specials for Disney ¡Viva Navidad! including torta al pastor, street style tacos and chicken mole.
- The classic Disney ¡Viva Navidad! holiday celebration includes a high energy street party hosted by The Three Caballeros (Donald Duck, Jose Carioca and Pancho). Mickey and Minnie join the fun, dressed in their fiesta best, along with folklorico and samba dancers. Additional Disney ¡Viva Navidad! highlights include holiday foods, crafts, Disney character experiences and Latin American bands.
- Princess Elena’s Musical Grand Arrival welcomes the adventurous and kindhearted Princess Elena of Avalor, her royal dancers and magical friend Skylar as they celebrate the holiday with an uplifting musical cavalcade.
- Blue13 Dance Company turns up the fun with traditional Indian dances that build to a Bollywood party for all.
- Mischievous Holiday Toy Drummers march to their own merry beat as they perform precision drills with holiday cheer.
- The GRAMMY® Award-winning Mariachi Divas celebrate the holidays with their signature repertoire of catchy bilingual tunes.
- Mostly Kosher Klezmer band showcases an entertaining and eclectic musical tapestry that weaves together jazz, Latin rock and hip-hop.
- RAISE, an uplifting a cappella vocal group, brings its powerful harmonious R&B spin to new and popular holiday songs.
- Santa will arrive for Santa’s Holiday Visit to greet guests of all ages. The joyful elves have transformed Redwood Creek Challenge Trail into a jolly playground of holiday fun and games.
The holiday season kicks off at Disney California Adventure® Park with the debut of Festival of Holidays on Nov. 10, 2016. You are invited to come celebrate heartwarming holiday festivities inspired by cultural traditions from around the world. They’ll create new memories as they share in delicious food and drink, fun craft making and the universal language of music and dance.
Wonderful entertainment experiences throughout the park draw on the diverse celebrations that bring joy during this festive time of year, including Diwali, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas/Navidad and Three Kings Day.
- Blue13 Dance Company – The spirited performers of Blue13 Dance Company turn up the fun with traditional Indian dances that build to a Bollywood party for all.
- Mostly Kosher – Klezmer band Mostly Kosher showcases an entertaining and eclectic musical tapestry that weaves together jazz, Latin, rock and hip-hop.
- RAISE – This uplifting a cappella vocal group brings a powerful, harmonious R&B spin to new and popular holiday songs.
- Holiday Toy Drummers – The mischievous Holiday Toy Drummers march to their own merry beat as they perform precision drills with holiday cheer.
- Mariachi Divas – GRAMMY Award-winning Mariachi Divas showcase their signature repertoire of catchy tunes.
- Disney ¡Viva Navidad! – Your Clients can enjoy holiday foods, crafts, Disney Character greetings and Latin American bands. Plus, The Three Caballeros host a fun street party featuring folklórico and samba dancers, live musicians and Mickey and Minnie in their fiesta best!
- Princess Elena’s Musical Grand Arrival – Elena of Avalor makes her Disneyland® Resort debut during Festival of Holidays! Your Clients can welcome the adventurous and kind-hearted Crown Princess, her royal dancers and magical friend Skylar as they celebrate the holidays with an uplifting musical cavalcade.
All this, plus an array of Disney Character experiences and kid-friendly activities!
During Festival of Holidays at Disney California Adventure Park, you can stop by Redwood Creek Challenge Trail for Santa’s Holiday Visit, where you’ll meet Santa and see how his joyful elves have transformed the area into a jolly playground of holiday fun and games.
As the sun sets, you won’t want to miss the evening concert at Paradise Park, featuring performances from two of the festival’s musical groups. And, a day of celebrating the season wouldn’t be complete without experiencing the all-new, nighttime water and light spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light,” combining classic holiday songs with beloved characters and heartwarming moments from Disney and Pixar animation to create a sparkling winter fantasy filled with magic!
Festival of Holidays kicks off Nov. 10, 2016 at Disney California Adventure Park and continues daily through Jan. 8, 2017.